> NCAA Crawls Some unx Azz
DevilDJ
post Jul 16 2015, 09:43 PM
Post #441

Hall of Famer

Group: Admin
Member No.: 36

Bonnie & Clyde Answer: “Earth To Art…”

It didn’t take too long for “Bonnie & Clyde” to answer Art Chansky’s “Sylvia Must Go” commentaries. This is hardly the first time that Bonnie & Clyde and Bre’r Chansky have aired their very different POVs on this inglorious institutional dumpster fire now raging into its fifth year.

“Bonnie” a/k/a whistleblower Mary Willingham and “Clyde” a/k/a notorious faculty dissident Jay Smith took to their website paperclassinc.com Thursday afternoon to refute Art’s assertion that:

It’s basically all Sylvia Hatchell’s fault. If she will just go away, everything would be fine….

I went inside the Old Well Bubble Thursday midday to get a feel for how this latest chapter of The Great Unpleasantness TGU was playing out. Even supporters of Sylvia were astounded to learn that unc WoBB loses over $2,000,000/year…. as Art reported. Stay tuned for the Next Salvo….

COMMENTS

58WOLF KENNEL

Truly powerful!! Is this part of a follow-on book. Will be most interesting to see the Butch football overload tie-in. We could get a great TV series developed out of this. “House of Shards”.

BOBLEE

Its been a very busy day at The TGU.

YOGI

BOOM! Take that Art! That is without a doubt one of the best pieces I’ve seen on TGU.

BOBLEE

Bringing the high heat …..

CHeats
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jul 19 2015, 04:23 PM
Post #442

Hall of Famer

APNewsBreak: Documents detail Hawkins' payments in unc case

Newly unsealed documents in the case of an ex-college football player charged with violating North carolina's sports agent law suggest he funneled money to multiple Tar Heels players and set up meetings with agents and financial advisers trying to sign them to contracts.

Christopher Hawkins was arrested in May for providing former player Robert Quinn thousands of dollars and helping him sell game-used equipment in 2010, along with improperly contacting a unc player in 2013 to talk about representation.

According to five search warrants unsealed Friday and reviewed by The Associated Press, Hawkins acted as "an agent/runner" by befriending other athletes, providing illegal improper benefits and brokering meetings with agents and advisers despite not being registered as required by law.

The search warrants from the past year sought records for financial and online accounts for the former unc and Marshall player in a 5-year-old Secretary of State's investigation, which began amid a 2010 NCAA probe into unc's football program. Hawkins was barred from school athletes and facilities that year and is one of five charged.

Fourteen Tar Heels missed at least one game in 2010 and seven sat all season in a case that led to NCAA sanctions in March 2012.

Both probes focused largely on ex-players Quinn, Marvin Austin and Greg Little. But roughly 75 pages of unsealed documents include other examples, including ex-player Kendric Burney telling investigators in October 2013 that he received monthly payments from Hawkins while an eligible athlete.

Burney, who missed six games in 2010 for improper benefits from Hawkins connected to trips, said Hawkins paid him and other players for agent meetings, the documents state.

Burney said Hawkins arranged and attended his meetings with financial adviser Marty Blazer and agent Peter Schaffer — two people who exchanged hundreds of calls with Hawkins, according to phone records cited in the warrants.

In an interview with the AP, Schaffer said he has never given improper benefits to Burney, now his client, or any unc players. He said Hawkins spoke to him about Burney but most communication would've been about ex-unc and NFL running back Willie Parker, a client who called Hawkins his "manager."

Schaffer denied wrongdoing and said he hasn't been interviewed by case investigators in several years. Schaffer represents Austin and Little, both of whom previously hired other agents.

"Come out to my office, you can look through my bank records and you will not see one check wired, cash, anything to Marty Blazer, to Chris Hawkins, to Kendric Burney, to anybody," Schaffer said. "Because it doesn't happen."

Blazer, Hawkins and Hawkins attorney Natasha Adams didn't return emails Saturday from the AP.

The investigative documents listed different ways money allegedly changed hands for players long since departed from unc.

Burney told investigators Hawkins summoned athletes to the house he shared with Parker to find "envelopes with their names on them lined up on a table," the documents state. Burney also said Hawkins paid him for signed memorabilia.

In February 2013, Quinn told investigators Hawkins provided $13,700 to steer him to Schaffer and Blazer, and called Schaffer "his guy," the documents state. Quinn said Blazer wired him money under the name of a teammate's girlfriend to avoid detection.

That May, Quinn's ex-girlfriend — identified as an athlete whose name matches a former unc softball player — told investigators Quinn received transfers through her account and said Hawkins was giving him money, the documents state.

Little also told investigators in 2013 he had received payments from Blazer.

Quinn, now with the St. Louis Rams, and Little didn't play in 2010 and were declared permanently ineligible by the NCAA.

The documents mention "numerous" emails between Hawkins and Blazer discussing payments made or pending to Quinn, Burney and former player Deunta Williams. Online chats between Hawkins and another person discuss teammates Bruce Carter and Quan Sturdivant.

Documents also cite online communication between Hawkins and Blazer discussing financial transfers. There's no mention of transactions between Schaffer and Hawkins.

In 2014, Blazer told investigators he communicated with Hawkins because of his relationships with unc players, but denied providing improper benefits. However, he said Schaffer had done so and paying athletes was the only way to get them to talk but didn't provide details, the documents state.

"For the Secretary of State to put that in that affidavit is slander, and this entire investigation is based on hearsay with absolutely zero credibility," Schaffer told the AP. "It's been a witch-hunt the whole time. The fact my name continues to come up in it is ridiculous."

Schaffer said he feels agents have the right to talk with players "as long as you follow NCAA rules."

The documents also describe Hawkins attempting to make contacts elsewhere: Blazer provided investigators with a November 2013 email from Hawkins about ex-USC All-American Marqise Lee, the Biletnikoff Award winner as the nation's top receiver in 2012.

"I have a guy working out with him at USC," the email states. "I'm going to meet with him soon!! He's been inquiring about financial guys.. (sic) What u think about him.. Reaching out to a few folks about him."

The documents contain no indication Lee made contact with Hawkins or Blazer.

CHeats
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jul 19 2015, 05:06 PM
Post #443

Hall of Famer

That May, Quinn's ex-girlfriend — identified as an athlete whose name matches a former unc softball player — told investigators Quinn received transfers through her account

Donna J. Papa ‏@uncCoachPapa

Catching up with one of my alumna Constance Orr at a softball field. Hasn"t hung up her cleats.

IPB Image

Constance Orr

Wonder how her hitting is these days? She was always a great "runner." tongue.gif You're pretty fukking corrupt when your cheating taints even women's softball.
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jul 19 2015, 09:48 PM
Post #444

Hall of Famer

National? Not national?

National? Not national?

laugh.gif
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jul 19 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #445

Hall of Famer

APNewsBreak: Documents detail Hawkins' payments in unc case

Newly unsealed documents in the case of a former college football player charged with violating North carolina's sports agent law suggest he funneled money to multiple Tar Heels players and set up meetings with agents and financial advisers trying to sign them to contracts.

Christopher Hawkins was arrested in May for providing former player Robert Quinn thousands of dollars and helping him sell game-used equipment in 2010, along with improperly contacting a unc player in 2013 to talk about representation.

According to five search warrants unsealed Friday and reviewed by The Associated Press, Hawkins acted as "an agent/runner" by befriending other athletes, providing illegal improper benefits and brokering meetings with agents and advisers despite not being registered as required by law.

The search warrants from the past year sought records for financial and online accounts for the former unc and Marshall player in a 5-year-old Secretary of State's investigation, which began amid a 2010 NCAA probe into unc's football program. Hawkins was barred from school athletes and facilities that year and is one of five charged.

Fourteen Tar Heels missed at least one game in 2010 and seven were forced to sit all season in a case that led to NCAA sanctions in March 2012.

Both probes focused largely on ex-players Quinn, Marvin Austin and Greg Little. But roughly 75 pages of unsealed documents include other examples, including ex-player Kendric Burney telling investigators in October 2013 that he received monthly payments from Hawkins while an eligible athlete.

Burney, who missed six games in 2010 for improper benefits from Hawkins connected to trips, said Hawkins paid him and other players for agent meetings, the documents state.

Burney said Hawkins arranged and attended his meetings with financial adviser Marty Blazer and agent Peter Schaffer — two people who exchanged hundreds of calls with Hawkins, according to phone records cited in the warrants.

In a phone interview Sunday with the AP, Burney, now Schaffer's client, said he didn't know exactly how much money Hawkins gave him.

"He was just helping me at that point find a good agent," Burney said. "Now as far as all the money situation, we never, never knew who it was coming from and never did I ever say, 'Hey, let's go get money from this agent."

Burney said Schaffer never provided improper benefits, saying the agent "always was by the book with me."

Schaffer told the AP he didn't provide improper benefits to any unc players. He said Hawkins spoke to him about Burney but most communication would've been about ex-unc and NFL running back Willie Parker, a client who called Hawkins his "manager."

Schaffer represents Austin and Little, both of whom previously hired other agents.

"Come out to my office, you can look through my bank records and you will not see one check wired, cash, anything to Marty Blazer, to Chris Hawkins, to Kendric Burney, to anybody," Schaffer said. "Because it doesn't happen."

Blazer, Hawkins and Hawkins attorney Natasha Adams didn't return emails Saturday from the AP.

The investigative documents listed different ways money allegedly changed hands for players long since departed from unc.

The documents state Burney told investigators Hawkins summoned athletes to the house he shared with Parker to find "envelopes with their names on them lined up on a table." Burney also said Hawkins paid him for signed memorabilia.

In February 2013, Quinn told investigators Hawkins provided $13,700 to steer him to Schaffer and Blazer, and called Schaffer "his guy," the documents state. Quinn said Blazer wired him money under the name of a teammate's girlfriend to avoid detection.

That May, Quinn's ex-girlfriend — identified as an athlete whose name matches a former unc softball player — told investigators Quinn received transfers through her account and said Hawkins was giving him money, the documents state.

Little also told investigators in 2013 he had received payments from Blazer through the account of former teammate and NFL receiver Hakeem Nicks, a client of both Blazer and Schaffer, according to the documents.

Quinn, now with the St. Louis Rams, and Little didn't play in 2010 and were declared permanently ineligible by the NCAA.

The documents mention "numerous" emails between Hawkins and Blazer discussing payments made or pending to Quinn, Burney and former player Deunta Williams. Online chats between Hawkins and another person discuss teammates Bruce Carter and Quan Sturdivant.

Documents also cite online communication between Hawkins and Blazer discussing financial transfers. There's no mention of transactions between Schaffer and Hawkins.

In 2014, Blazer told investigators he communicated with Hawkins because of his relationships with unc players, but denied providing improper benefits. However, Blazer said Schaffer had done so and paying athletes was the only way to get them to talk but didn't provide details, the documents state.

"For the Secretary of State to put that in that affidavit is slander, and this entire investigation is based on hearsay with absolutely zero credibility," Schaffer told the AP. "It's been a witch-hunt the whole time. The fact my name continues to come up in it is ridiculous."

The documents also describe Hawkins attempting to make contacts elsewhere: Blazer provided investigators with a November 2013 email from Hawkins about former USC All-American Marqise Lee, the Biletnikoff Award winner as the nation's top receiver in 2012.

"I have a guy working out with him at USC," the email states. "I'm going to meet with him soon!! He's been inquiring about financial guys.. (sic) What u think about him.. Reaching out to a few folks about him."

The documents contain no indication Lee made contact with Hawkins or Blazer.

Same story picked up by the N&O

Interesting take...
David Rippey@david_rippey

Do not be distracted by the Edelman PR team's latest sleight of hand trick on behalf of #uncCHEAT. http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/apne...yments-unc-case …. 1/2

David Rippey@david_rippey

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/apne...yments-unc-case … Timely release of a dead subject. AP article by Aaron Beard, he's a #unc grad, but so is Kevin Madden. #carolinaWhey

CHeats
David Rippey ‏@david_rippey

Do not be distracted by the Edelman PR team's latest sleight of hand trick on behalf of #uncCHEAT. http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/apne...yments-unc-case …. 1/2

DevilDJ ‏@DevilDJ32

@david_rippey Interesting take. Howso? Seems to implicate MORE players than originally reported AND it puts football back on front burner.

David Rippey ‏@david_rippey

@DevilDJ32 Fishy considering the timing. Our source said the #NCAA was willing to overlook some trails because of redundancy. Same here IMO

CHeats
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jul 19 2015, 10:49 PM
Post #446

Hall of Famer

Beard...
EDUCATION

The University of North carolina at Chapel Hill
Class of 1999 · Chapel Hill, North carolina

Northwest Cabarrus High School
Class of 1994 · Concord, North carolina

CHeats
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jul 20 2015, 02:04 PM
Post #447

Hall of Famer

BobMartin
RS Freshman
719 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report
Posted: Today 1:35 PM

Re: The uncheaters thread

IPB Image

I don't know what to think. Normally, I'd consider it pretty far fetched for a public relations entity to get a state agency to unseal documents and entice an AP writer with unc ties to take the lead in reporting the story, all with the intent to reopen that wound (believing it to be tolerable) just so as to draw attention away from men's basketball.

But if it's true, me (of all people) expressing skepticism could be viewed as just another element of that PR gambit, seeking to mute the hard-to-believe truth.

I asked "my friend" Bradley what his thoughts were on the news item since his tweets on the matter seemed to suggest it was more exasperating non-news. Is it possible that his reaction was predicted by the Edelman people, and thus why they might have been willing to tear off the scab, knowing that the faithful would present the defensive front of how this revealed nothing new of import and even seek to cast carolina in the position of sympathetic victim? (Bethel has been tweeting since, but hasn't responded, so I don't expect he will.)

My normally pragmatic side says that's all too ridiculous to take seriously. But frankly, I just don't know anymore. I've seen a lot of things out of unc (and the NCAA) this past year that defy reason, and maybe I'm just not clued into how tricky and well-strategized this PR campaign is. Maybe it's not so outlandish that my postings might be seen as part of that campaign.

How Edelman is operating on unc's behalf has become one of the more intriguing things about this scandal for me. If this AP/Beard story really was manipulated for strategic reasons, I have to reexamine everything in this new light.

Orange County DA office running point...

No shet. rolleyes.gif

National? Not national?
Marc O. Chambers
Recruit
356 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 8:02 AM

Re: unc Scandal: Manalishi speaks/Pack rejoices/Holes lurk

When one has to resort to bringing up one class of one's wrong doing to distract people from paying attention to other aspects of one's wrong-doing.......well, that reeks of panicky desperation.

Pay no attention to the mountain of bodies in my backyard....just look at the shiny car I stole and wrapped around the tree in the front yard..,.

Evidently they will do anything to save Their Precious.......
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jul 20 2015, 02:34 PM
Post #448

Hall of Famer

pointwolf
A wise man, indeed
12874 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 12:29 PM

enjoy today's little shower.......hurricane coming later.

wink.gif
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jul 20 2015, 03:25 PM
Post #449

Hall of Famer

A Greatly Unpleasant “Rasputin” Reappears

I swanee…. The Great Unpleasantness (TGU) @ unc is a case of Institutional Herpes. Like the notorious STD; certain elements of TGU might fade into remission, or hibernate, or go dormant for a spell…. but nothing about it ever totally “goes away”. Case-in-point….. The Chris Hawkins Chapter.

Chris Hawkins“Hawk” is the Rasputin of TGU. Like the legendary Mad Monk of Czarist Russia, despite repeated efforts, they just can’t kill the reoccurring reports on this guy. He has “come back” more often than the McRib.

Aficionados (or hopeless addicts) of all things TGU certainly recognize the name of this John Bunting recruit (from Kinston) who was dismissed from the unc FB program in 2003 following some sort of altercation with a teammate. Hawkins was formally declared “not our (unc) kinda kid” and subsequently transferred to Marshall.

“Hawk” would later be arrested on felony drug charges in 2009 and a gun possession charge in 2012. There was also an arrest /charge about his illegal dealing with a Univ Georgia FB star. “Hawk” has quite the rap sheet.

“Not a unc kinda kid ??”…. Hellfire, “Hawk” isn’t even “a Florida State kinda kid”. OUCH!

The Latest re: Chris Hawkins & unc Football – LINK.

I have to note that Chris Hawkins is from Kinston as is Brandon Ingram who recently knee-capped Roy by choosing Duke. Do Hawkins and Ingram balance out fellow unc /Kinstonians Jerry Stackhouse and Reggie Bullock? Who determines these things?

Hawkins developed a very close relationship with his former roommate unc RB Willie Parker who himself left unc FB somewhat disgruntled over how he was treated by The Bunting Regime.

“Fast Willie” ended up with the NFL Steelers and had very productive years from 2005-2007 before reoccurring injuries ended his career.

Enter The Era of Butch & Blake (who ??) and Marvin Austin, Greg Little, Robert Quinn and the other members of Jennifer The Tutor’s bunch. Prior to the seminal moment a/k/a The Tweet Heard ‘Round The NCAA, Chris Hawkins returned to Chapel Hill and was a regular habitué in the Kenan Football weightroom.

Access to the Kenan Football Center was normally off-limits to “friends of players” but Hawkins was declared “a friend of Marvin’s” and being a FOM apparently made him “special”.

A bit of history….. Marvin Austin was the premier 5-star recruit snared by John Blake (who?) when he, Blake (who?), first arrived to join The Butcher’s staff. Austin was not considering unc at all prior to an 11th hour visit by Blake (who?). The surprise signing of the very highly-rated Austin in February 2007 sent tremors across Big Time College Football that unc with Butch & Blake (who?) was going to be a force to be reckoned with.

John Blake arrived in Chapel Hill with a reputation / rap sheet as “a very successful recruiter”…. wink, wink, wink. Pretty much everyone in college football knew John Blake’s sordid reputation EXCEPT his former high school teacher and fellow Dallas Cowboys staffer – Butch Davis. Blake’s reputation included being banned from recruiting in the state of Texas for assorted malfeasances. Blake’s not affectionate national nickname of “Black Santa” for the gifts he bestowed upon recruits was also not known by Butch Davis.

The “who?” after Blake’s name is in honor of Butch Davis’ oft-professed “I knew nuuuuthing” of ANY concerns regarding John Blake’s integrity as a coach / recruiter. Butch’s “knew nothing” included not only Blake’s sordid reputation prior to joining Butch’s staff; Butch also “knew nothing” about anything John Blake did while Butch’s #1 Assistant Head Coach. THAT is A LOT of Nuthin’ to Know!

Austin arrived in Chapel Hill in Summer of 2007….. somehow got enrolled in some mysterious class that somehow resolved some admissions concerns surrounding his academic credentials. Somehow clearing that hurdle, Austin became THE Alpha Dog of the unc Football Program. Marvin’s position coach/mentor at unc was John Blake (who?).

unc’s Strength & Conditioning Coach at the time was Jeff Connors – an early Bunting hire who had been retained by The Butcher. The Football Weight Room was Connors’ domain. Jeff Connors was very much aware of Chris Hawkins and the circumstances of his expulsion from John Bunting’s program. But, apparently Hawkins’ FOM status trumped any concerns Connors might have had. Whether Connors alerted “upstairs” to Hawkins presence is “unclear”.

On/about the time Chris Hawkins and “what Chris Hawkins was up to” became a person of interest of the NCAA and NC Secretary of State, Jeff Connors abruptly resigned from unc to return to ECU.

Contrary to what one might hear along legendary Franklin Street, NC’s laws governing sports agents were NOT put in by Eeeeeevil Art Pope in his mythical campaign to destroy all things unc. I’m pretty sure not even unc BOGer John “Trainwreck” Fennebresque was involved.

Both the NCAA and state law enforcement began an extended investigation of exactly “what Chris Hawkins was up to” as it smelled like it involved very illegal cash payments to unc student-athletes in hopes of persuading them to sign with “an agent” in league with Hawkins. It was not the same agent that John Blake (who?) was getting illegal payments from to funnel players to. Different agents.

If you’re quite confused by this time, imagine how unc AD Dickie Baddour would have felt is he had ever had the slightest clue about…. well “about ANYTHING”. He (“Dickie”) did not have a clue then…. and to this day remains totally clueless about pretty much anything during his almost two decades “directing” unc Athletics. Anything OTHER THAN the various NCAA Championships won during his regime for which he received hefty bonuses. His primary contributions to those achievements being that he was totally clueless of all the assorted “schemes” in play during almost two decades.

I have always hoped that Butch would reveal he never wanted to hire John Blake but that ….. “Dickie made me do it.” Would THAT not be just too rich?

So anyhow….. now more and more is coming out about “what Marvin Austin’s friend Chris Hawkins was up to” around and about unc Football during The Era of Butch & Blake (who?).

Does ANY of this “matter”? All the parties involved are long gone along with huge NFL deals, multi-million dollars buy-outs, and fat pensions. OK, other than John Blake (who?) who only got $75,000 to “go away” and Chris Hawkins who may / may not still be “Fast Willie’s BFF”.

“Fast Willie” lives in Durham these days as does “Fats” Thomas. Willie has NOT been linked to “Fats” who, of course, has his own sordid chapter in TGU. There are A LOT of chapters in TGU. So many that one might need a wheelbarrow to carry them all.

It must be noted that these latest revelations concerning “what Chris Hawkins was up to” DO NOT mention Sylvia Hatchell at all, or “any junk” about RecentlyRewardedRoy w/ Two Rings.

I do have a legal associate of high repute who is “of knowledge” related to statutes of limitations and guilt by omission / commission and by association. I should be getting his input soon on the “so what” value of these latest revelations.

Alas, even these latest revelations will NOT affect (1) your idiot brother-in-law a/k/a The World’s #1 unc Wal-Mart Fan….. nor will it have any effect whatsoever on (2) those cross-eyed goobers around your water cooler who “know for a fact” that That Damn Dan Kane is behind all of this.

This absolutely will NOT deter (3) unc’s LowerLevel Guys who are so concerned about Coach K’s recruiting resurgence that they would (almost) forfeit their trust funds and/or hedge funds to make “all this” go away.

COMMENTS:
SWVA uncER

Apparently the “lower level” BBers and the Blue Zone FBers don’t know a darn thing about the laws of nature. You can cover up a pile of crap (the nice word) until cows grow wings, but it does not change the scent of it. Eventually, that scent is going to rise to the surface and point to the truth. Swofford and Dickie, and, yes, your buddy, Art, have tried many years to cover up years of crap (some of it even you wouldn’t believe), but the fact remains, the crap is still there. Dan Kane, Mary, and Smith just have the guts not to be afraid of telling the truth. It’s a darn shame more people don’t share that courage. Absolutely nothing about a school I dearly love, but have no blinders on about what goes on there anymore, would surprise me. I’m sure a lot of other faithful (but not rich) alums feel the same way.

BOBLEE

I’m sure there are some “rich” unc alums quite unhappy about all these revelations as much as you and I and quite a few others. Yes, there is apparently a cabal of Blue Zone / Lower Levelers who are determined to rewrite history to fit their egos. …. not sure thats going to work when all is said and done.

BobLee
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jul 20 2015, 09:06 PM
Post #450

Hall of Famer

Art HARUMPHS Back at Mary & Jay

Yeee Haa! We got us a Cyber Slugfest! ……”My buddy Art” (has he officially changed his name to that?) has done reared back and fired a “How Dare You” salvo back at Mary & Jay for daring to fire a salvo at him.

Yo AC, smart alecks like you and I INVITE folks to “fire salvos at us” for the stuff we say. Its WHY we go out of our way to piss’em off in the first place! Duh!

This is starting to resemble The Battle of Midway. Who will be the first to “Go Kamikaze”?
I’m not sure Mary & Jay were at all suggesting that Sylvia deserved a raise TOO. Not even Albert was suggesting that other than “If Roy deserved one then …..” Most everyone not knee-walking drunk on TCW wine thinks NEITHER ONE “deserved a raise” until this is finally resolved…. if it ever is. As Mary & Jay always say – “The Truth is in the transcripts….”

We all know “Roy got his” simply to impress those semi-literate 18 y/os wondering which ballcap to wear sideways. Why not take the $$$$ they are Rewarding Roy and give it (the $$$) directly to the “semi-literate ball caps choosers”. Surely unc has some Fat Cats who can figure a creative way to pull that off.

COMMENTS
TOMINGOLDSBORO

I appreciate Art Chansky’s reputation as a provocateur who has often “kicked over outhouses just because….”; and I realize he REALLY REALLY REALLY resents Mary & Jay criticizing his #1 Love – unc Basketball & Dean Smith…. but is he simply off his meds with these recent screeds? …. He insists on totally absolving Roy from any wrongdoings. That ridiculous.

BOBLEE

Art is indeed a provocateur who worships Coach Smith and all He touched. He really doesn’t hide that fact. Obviously I do not share his undying love and admiration for all that is carolina Basketball. …. The level of admiration he has for Dean Smith and His Legacy does cloud his perception IMO.
As for “meds” I can’t really tell any difference between Art Now and in The Past. He’s Art Chansky.

FAYETTEWUF

Art brought a pillow to a knife fight.

BOBLEE

I confess I’m a bit surprised by his level of self-righteous indignation. It ain’t like AC is a rookie at these pissin’ contests.

JOHN

“Jay and Mary believe there was an 18-year covert scheme to keep athletes eligible here, and in propagating that ridiculous theory ”

That is just astonishing. Over the past couple of weeks Chansky has published several columns that demonstrate a complete disconnect with reality.

BOBLEE

“a complete disconnect with reality” is not at all uncommon “over there”. It’s pretty much the norm.

CHeats
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jul 21 2015, 06:35 PM
Post #451

Hall of Famer

unc’s Larry Fedora 'pretty positive' his program in good shape amid NCAA investigation

North carolina is still six months away – maybe a little bit more, or less – from the end of an NCAA investigation that drags on, one in which the unknown of it all has become almost as significant, and crippling, as any sanction the university's athletic teams might endure.

There are questions about what penalties might be coming and about what teams might face those penalties. Will some sports be subject to postseason bans or scholarship cuts or both? Will others have victories or championships vacated?

The specter of what could be coming has affected recruiting in men's basketball and football, and likely just about every sport. All the while, Tar Heels football coach Larry Fedora has tried to remain positive, hopeful that his program will avoid significant sanctions.

He and his coaching staff, at least, have shared their confidence with prospects that the football program won't endure serious sanctions, like a postseason ban. Three prospects who recently committed to unc have said Fedora calmed their concerns about the NCAA investigation.

“You know, I'm a very positive person,” Fedora said Tuesday at the ACC's annual preseason media kickoff. “And so there's plenty of people out there are going to look at the negative side of everything that we do. I'm pretty positive that it's going to turn out good for us.”

The NCAA in the summer of 2014 reopened its investigation at unc, which in May received the NCAA's Notice of Allegations. The document outlined five major allegations against unc, including a lack of institutional control, resulting from a paper class scheme that lasted nearly two decades.

The scope of the NOA, though, is broad. The document acknowledges that suspect no-show African- and Afro-American studies courses helped football and men's and women's basketball players remain eligible.

Even so, the NOA doesn't specifically charge football or men's basketball – or anyone associated with those programs – with wrongdoing. That's part of the reason Roy Williams, the men's basketball coach, and Fedora have told prospects that their programs will avoid serious sanctions.

Tomon Fox, a heralded high school linebacker from Georgia, recently committed to unc after discussing the NCAA case with Fedora and Bubba Cunningham, the unc athletic director. Fox said he had worried about possible sanctions, but that Fedora quelled his concerns.

“Coach Fedora told me he talked to an attorney – like, football won't be touched by that,” Fox said. “So I was like, all right, that's good to hear.”

NCAA rules prohibit coaches from publicly discussing high school prospects, and so Fedora is unable to comment on what he has told Fox or any other high school player. Even so, Fedora acknowledged that he has shared with prospects the feedback he has received from the university's attorneys.

“Parts of it are accurate,” Fedora said when asked if recruits are correctly relaying what they've been told. “I mean, you know, if five people go watch a wreck and you interview all five of them asking what they saw, every one of them is going to tell you something different. But it's going to all be right.

“There are parts of that that are right. I feel confident that things are going to turn out good, I really do.”

unc is less than two weeks from the start of the preseason practice. The start of the season is still more than five weeks away.

The unknowns, then, will continue to hang over the season, and questions about what the NCAA Committee on Infractions will decide will endure possibly until next February or March or beyond. It's likely that Fedora and his assistants won't have definitive answers before National Signing Day in February, when prospects sign binding national letters of intent.

Fedora is used to this kind of thing, at least. The questions. The uncertainty.

He has dealt with both since he arrived at unc in early 2012, believing that unc's troubles were soon to be in the past.

Fedora said Tuesday that he wasn't worried about speaking too soon – that he wasn't fearful that his positivity now could come back to haunt him later. If he's wrong about what the NCAA might do, and if his program does suffer from the fallout related to the NCAA investigation, he could have to answer to the same players and parents he has reassured in recent weeks.

Fedora didn't waver Tuesday, though, and reiterated his confidence that his program will be OK.

“It's my job to set a vision for our program and where we want to go as a program,” he said. “And that's what I'm doing. And I'm doing that to the best of my ability and to what I know. And so I'm comfortable with what I'm saying and I'm comfortable with what I'm doing. I really am.

“If I wasn't I wouldn't do it, actually. I'm not going to sell my soul.”

"Pretty positive"

laugh.gif

Joe Mazur‏@joemazurabc11

Fedora "guys come to unc because they know they'll get a world class education".

CHeats
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jul 21 2015, 08:17 PM
Post #452

Hall of Famer

BL comments updated... wink.gif
SANFRANSOXFAN

It seems the almost mantra-like “The truth is in the transcripts” will carry the day. Neither McCants’ teammates, in their “we didn’t have the same experience” response, and your “buddy Art” in his salvo exchange with Bonnie (of Bonnie and Clyde), will even acknowledge this, the crux of the entire argument. I know that you’re enjoying the endless column fodder TGU provides (as are most of us readers), but at the end, isn’t it that simple? The NCAA has all the transcripts (athletic scholly’s waive FERPA for the NCAA). No amount of spin can change that.
Am I missing something?

BOBLEE

Does the NCAA have all the transcripts ??? I can’t imagine anyone across the partisan spectrum NOT realizing that the revealed transcripts of the 2005 team (if not the 2009) would be devastating to TCW. That the 2005 “stud-athl” did not volunteer them to refute McCants when he came forward was the proof of the poison pill.
What could be in a 10 year old transcript that a person would want to hide…. if there was nothing to hide?

SANFRANSOXFAN

All the NCAA had to do was ask for the transcripts. If they did not, I believe that intentional oversight will be very damaging for them. Kind of a rock and hard place situation, but there’s no real way out at this point. If unc men’s basketball manages to somehow skate major penalties, the stench will be overpowering. Do you sense at least some of them are starting to figure this out?

BOBLEE

Again, I don’t know the legalities of the transcript issue. If the NCAA gives unc MBBll a pass, “the stench” can not get much worse than it has been for 4-5 years. The TruBlue faithful will rejoice, mix up a new batch of TCW Kool-Aid and sing HarkTheSound. …. The PTB are “encouraging” Sylvia to fall on her sword. If she refuses to do so, their options get “sticky”. …. FWIW, I believe Art is speaking for himself as he has tended to do over the years. He is not being “a mouthpiece” for the uncAthDept.

BobLee
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jul 23 2015, 08:24 PM
Post #453

Hall of Famer

The new "normal" for unx. The poster-child for everything wrong with collegiate athletics...
The Fundamental Way That Universities Are an Illusion

To understand the failures of the modern American college system — from admissions marketing to graduation rates — you can begin with a notorious university football scandal.

In November 2006, Butch Davis, a high-profile coach with jobs in the N.F.L. and the University of Miami on his résumé, was hired to coach football at the University of North carolina at Chapel Hill. The job offered Mr. Davis a rare opportunity to work for a university that had won dozens of championships in multiple sports while avoiding the scandals and corruption that seemed commonplace at Miami and elsewhere.

But it didn’t take long for Mr. Davis to realize that Chapel Hill’s reputation for sports excellence without compromise was a myth. From 1991 to 2009, the university’s department of African and Afro-American studies ran a huge academic fraud operation. Thousands of students, including regular undergraduates and athletes trying to maintain playing eligibility, enrolled in fake courses in which they didn’t have to attend classes, meet with professors or produce any legitimate academic work.

After the fraud was exposed and both the university chancellor and Mr. Davis lost their jobs, outside investigators discovered that U.N.C. had essentially no system for upholding the academic integrity of courses. “So long as a department was offering a course,” one distinguished professor told the investigators, “it was a legitimate course.”

Mr. Davis came to understand this all too well. As the investigators wrote in their final report, Mr. Davis “found Chapel Hill’s attitude toward student-athlete academics to be like an ‘Easter egg,’ beautiful and impressive to the outside world, but without much life inside.”

National? Not national?
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jul 24 2015, 10:19 PM
Post #454

Hall of Famer

hallcity
Noob
13 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 3:55 PM

There have been so many threads and posts that I hope I'm not repeating something but I've been looking at some NCAA Public Infractions Reports for other schools. I've found two recent Public Infractions Reports where LOIC was found which was generalized in nature, affecting all or most of the sports programs at the schools involved, without a finding specific to an individual sport. The NOAs weren't released but the ultimate Public Infractions Reports don't specifically say any coach was at fault or even say that any non-coach employee who worked only in a specific sport was at fault.

In the case of the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff in 2014, there was erroneous certification of 124 student-athletes over five years. There was also failure to maintain complete and accurate squad lists which allowed ineligible student-athletes to compete. It's not exactly clear who at Pine Bluff was at fault but the school's compliance office must have been primarily at fault. No coach is mentioned. No specific sport is mentioned. The punishment was a one year post-season ban in football, men's basketball, women's basketball and baseball. Five years of wins where ineligible student-athletes competed were vacated. There were scholarship reductions in 11 sports.

In the case of Southeastern Louisiana University in 2013, there was erroneous certification of 137 student-athletes in 16 sports over five years. The person at fault was the Associate Athletic Director for Compliance. Probably no one else in the athletic department was even aware at the time that there was a problem. No sport is mentioned specifically. The punishment was vacations of all wins during the five year period in each sport.

It looks like the NCAA has recently done exactly what unc says it can't do, punish individual sports without alleging that a coach or other employee working specifically for a sport was at fault.

st8dukegrad87
Bench Warmer
2317 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 4:37 PM

Don't forget the best one of them all, Cal Tech. If there was ever a school where true students played sports, it is Cal Tech. Cal Tech was hit for having athletes do what EVERY student at Cal Tech does which is "shop" classes for the first few weeks before locking in what they want to take that academic period.

Below are penalties for their LOIC for 12 sports over 4 years:

Public reprimand and censure.

Three years of probation from July 12, 2012, through July 11, 2015.

A 2012-13 postseason ban for the sports of men's and women's track and field; men's and women's cross country; women's swimming; baseball; men's and women's fencing; men's soccer; men's water polo; men's basketball; and men's and women's tennis. The ban extends to all the annual exemptions of Bylaw 17.1.4.5 and is further detailed in the public report. (Self-imposed by the university)

Vacation of all wins and individual records earned when ineligible student-athletes participated. (Self-imposed by the university)

A financial penalty of $5,000. (Self-imposed by the university)

Elimination of off-campus recruiting activities for the 2012-13 academic year. (Self-imposed by the university

LINK
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 21 22 23
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2015 - 08:23 PM