+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jun 5 2015, 06:28 PM
Post #422

Hall of Famer

Group: Admin
Member No.: 36

NCAA Must Drop the Hammer on University of North carolina Athletics

The University of North carolina released the Notice of Allegations levied upon them by the NCAA today, and the Tar Heels are in serious trouble.

According to the Wainstein Report that was released last year, for the span of 18 years, North carolina, specifically its African and Afro-American Studies program, was providing paper classes for its student-athletes. The NCAA has found those hoax courses to provide impermissible benefits not made available to all students.

There are five allegations of the Level 1 variety that the Tar Heels need to be worried about. They are as follows:

1. Providing impermissible benefits to student athletes from 2002-2011.

2. Jan Boxill, a philosophy professor and the director of the Parr Center for Ethics, as well as the academic counselor for the women’s basketball team, provided impermissible academic assistance to special arrangements to the the women’s basketball players.

3. Deborah Crowder, the former student services manager of the African- and Afro-American studies did not cooperate with the NCAA investigation by failing to interview with the university and the NCAA.

4. Dr. Julius Nyang’oro, the former head of the African and Afro-American studies program, failed to cooperate with the NCAA investigation as well.

5. Due to the first two allegations, the NCAA then accused the University of North carolina of lack of institutional control.

Now if you know anything about college athletics, you know that the last allegation is the big one. When the NCAA finds that the university has lacked any institutional control of any sort, it’s obvious that the NCAA will drop the proverbial hammer, and that is exactly what the they need to do in this situation.

Surprisingly, the program that the NOA mentioned the most was women’s basketball, followed by men’s basketball and football. Head coach Roy Williams was only mentioned once and that was through an interview.

It’s an interesting case because the NCAA is putting the full blame of these indiscretions on the athletic department as a whole. They seemed to be focusing more on the academic side of things moreso than the athletic side.

I don’t have a clue what the NCAA will do, or how soon it will happen. All I know is that the NCAA has to drop the hammer on the athletics department. Women’s basketball, men’s basketball and football must deal with the consequences of the school’s actions, and I know it isn’t fair to the current student-athletes, but that’s the way of college athletics.

These hoax classes were available to all student athletes, so if the punishments handed down have collateral damage on other non-revenue programs, then so be it. This was academic wrongdoing on a colossal level, and the fact that the university had no idea that this was taking place is inexcusable.

North carolina has until August 20 to submit their response.

CHeats
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wopacker1980
post Jun 6 2015, 05:02 AM
Post #423

Board Archivist

Group: Member
Member No.: 6

Warbird called Thursday after work and said "have you heard? LOIC"

Where are all our old unx buddies to defend this?
Boy Gov Martin looks stupid.

The other thing I thought about was unx must have done one hellofa job hiding all this from NCAA the 1st time they came calling; that alone warrants a harsh penalty.
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jun 6 2015, 09:48 PM
Post #424

Hall of Famer

Patrick Johnson@pmanonair

@paperclassinc (Mary Willinghan) has reax to #unc #NCAA NOA @ 10:25 Monday morning as she joins me on @WPTF

CHeats
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jun 10 2015, 08:39 PM
Post #425

Hall of Famer

I have no idea who this kid is but I will lmao at 'im if his beloved holes get nuked. Clearly , Fed & Co. have been tellin' recruits the investigation is no bfd... mad.gif rolleyes.gif
Already a Morehead scholar, Hillside's Beasley joining Tar Heels

Beasley said he knows all about the scandal that had unc students getting passing grades for very little work in courses created by a secretary in what was the Department of African and Afro-American Studies. He said his history teacher at Hillside used to tutor unc athletes during the troubled timeframe and told him the mess wasn't exactly as it has been portrayed.

“That was something that kind of troubled me when I was thinking about going to carolina,” Beasley said. “Of course, the media blew it up a lot more.

CHeats
+Quote Post
Pookie
post Jun 11 2015, 05:00 AM
Post #426

Admonisher

Group: Member
Member No.: 32

Someone neds to investigate that history teacher for impermissible benefits
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jun 12 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #427

Hall of Famer

Larry Fedora sounds off on North carolina scandal

There is plenty more still to come in the North carolina academic fraud scandal, but the school and athletic department already have experienced the fallout.

Coach Larry Fedora has been vocal about the negative recruiting while the NCAA investigation has continued. He went into more detail about that in an interview with an online publication posted Thursday, saying schools are recruiting against him by simply handing out copies of the Wainstein report, which lays bare all the problems North carolina had in its now discredited Department of African and Afro-American Studies.

Fedora told Jeff Greenberg of sports-glutton.com: "We are always having to defend ourselves and how we do things based on what other coaches are saying is going to happen to our school and our program based on actions from the past; and then show and prove that those things aren’t going to happen and most of the things being said are made up. But if you throw enough things up against the wall, some things are bound to stick and create confusion and doubt with the recruit."

Fedora went on to say his biggest frustration is reminding everybody -- from recruits to parents to the media -- that his staff had nothing to do with the scandal. But he has no intention of walking away and quitting. "I came here with goals and I haven’t reached those goals," Fedora said. "To leave just because things were tougher than I thought they would be is something I wouldn’t have been able to live with at all. I wouldn’t know who that person is. This is where I want to be and I love what our future looks like."

CHeats

rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jun 17 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #428

Hall of Famer

Punishment yet to arrive, but unc already feeling pain

It’s going to be months before the NCAA decides if and how it’s going to penalize North carolina for the academic fraud outlined in the Notice of Allegations released earlier this month. Even without official sanctions, the Tar Heels are already starting to pay the price.

Allisha Gray, the leading scorer on the women’s basketball team last season, was this week given permission to explore a transfer. Her reasoning was undisclosed, but the Notice of Allegations made it clear that whatever punishment North carolina faces, the women’s basketball program is going to bear the brunt of it.

If Gray indeed transfers, she’ll be the third member of North carolina’s 2013 recruiting class to leave the team, a class ranked No. 1 by ESPNW. National freshman of the year Diamond DeShields transferred to Tennessee in search of a better fit a year ago, and Jessica Washington left this spring seeking more playing time. Only Stephanie Mavunga is left.

Throw in assistant coach Ivory Latta, who recently left the staff to focus on her pro career, and the Carmichael Arena exit has gotten a workout. Their collective departures would gut a team that came within a game of the Final Four two years ago, reached the second weekend of the NCAA tournament this season and now faces what figure to be very significant NCAA sanctions.

The NCAA has yet to drop the hammer, but women’s basketball is feeling the pain now – and that team is far from alone.

Women’s basketball is discovering now what the football and basketball teams have known for some time: Laboring under the threat and shadow of NCAA sanctions is almost as difficult as sanctions themselves.

Roy Williams this spring lamented his inability to get top prospects to visit the campus, let alone sign them, a staggering admission for a coach who at Kansas and North carolina routinely landed the best players in the country. Kinston’s Brandon Ingram, the state’s top-ranked player, said the threat of sanctions was a significant factor in choosing Duke over North carolina in April.

It was the latest recruiting miss for the Tar Heels, who don’t have a top-50 recruit for next season and only added a second commitment because he was released from his letter of intent to Virginia Commonwealth when Shaka Smart left. (Things are looking up for 2017, with top-10 prospect Jalek Felton already committed.)

Williams wasn’t named specifically in the Notice of Allegations, but the basketball program figured heavily in the supporting evidence, raising questions about what penalties it could face.

It’s something football has been dealing with since the first NCAA investigators arrived on campus five years ago, both explicitly and implicitly. Larry Fedora, after enduring the scholarship restrictions imposed by the initial NCAA sanctions three years ago, has continued to battle negative recruiting as the further investigation into widespread academic fraud has dragged on. “An all-time high,” Fedora said on signing day.

“It’s something that’s going to continue to happen until we get it all straightened out,” Fedora said

In Fedora’s first season, immediately after the sanctions were handed down, the Tar Heels missed out on a chance to play for the ACC championship in 2012 after going 8-4 because of the postseason ban imposed by the NCAA, a year after they declined to self-impose a ban. The program has yet to return to that level since, going 7-6 and 6-7 over the next two seasons.

No matter what the NCAA decides, there’s no question five years of scandal has taken a collective toll on North carolina’s athletic performance as the university’s failure to get to the bottom of the academic fraud in a timely fashion has allowed it to fester.

In the 2013-14 academic year, North carolina failed to win an ACC championship in any sport for the first time since ever. That may be mere coincidence. But as the NCAA process winds to its inevitable close, the Tar Heels already know what that punishment is going to feel like – except it’s probably going to be even worse.

CHeats
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jun 20 2015, 11:36 AM
Post #429

Hall of Famer

Another reason why unx needs to be shut the fuk down. Oh....and fuk Fedora too...

IPB Image

Some good comments here...
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jun 22 2015, 10:56 PM
Post #430

Hall of Famer

Andrew Carter ‏@_andrewcarter

One of the main takeaways from a night at Freak Show: Fedora, unc telling prospects nothing to worry about w/NCAA: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college...le25178989.html

Andrew Carter ‏@_andrewcarter

Obviously, goes without saying Fedora, unc telling prospects that in regards to where football stands in NCAA case: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college...le25178989.html

CHeats
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jun 22 2015, 11:18 PM
Post #431

Hall of Famer

The University of North carolina-Chapel Hill scandal

The University of North carolina-Chapel Hill scandal is one of the biggest ever in collegiate sports. As we wait for the NCAA to deliver a punishment, lets look back at some sport scandals and the sanctions enforced.

In 1987 college football would never be the same. Southern Methodist University located in Dallas Texas, was handed down one of the biggest punishments in sports history. The Mustangs already on probation for recruiting violations, were found guilty of paying 13 players $61,000 from a booster slush fund. Not only did the coaching staff allow this to happen, the athletic director and members of the department knew about the fund. The NCAA didn't hesitate and used the scandal to make an example to other teams that there is zero tolerance for these actions. SMU gated off the field and was given the death penalty: shutting down the program for the whole 1988 season. The program lost 55 scholarships over a four-year span. From '88-2007 the Mustangs struggled, only being able to tally up one winning season in 20 years.

Scandals like this have been seen over the years in college athletics. You can date back to 1999 Minnesota's basketball program, when the team tutor wrote 400 papers for at least 20 players. We can fast-forward to 2011 when big time University of Miami booster Nevin Shapiro provided football and basketball players with money, entertainment, and even an abortion. Today the NCAA faces another huge scandal involving the University of North carolina- Chapel Hill, which can possibly make it a non-accredited institution.

The Tar Heels have possibly attempted the biggest academic fraud in collegiate history, involving more than 3,100 students over 18 years. What is more disturbing is nearly 47% of those students are student-athletes. Academic counselors for unc's athletics knowingly put borderline athletes into Afro-American studies to maintain player's eligibility. From football to women's basketball, players were provided with recycled papers and undeserving grades to continue competing. The university, academic department, and athletics made a mockery of the NCAA, at the time where the industry's enforcement has been lukewarm.

In 2012 the Committee of Infractions gave the Tar Heel's football program a slap on the hand, when they banned the program from bowl games for one year. However this did not stem from today's allegations, instead it evolved from players taking benefits from an agent that had ties with an assistant coach. The decision that the NCAA will make can either reinforce faith in their punishment system or continue to let these scandals pass by. This scandal in particular bypasses others, especially USC's back in 2004.

The University of Southern California faced detrimental penalties when Reggie Bush and family were found guilty of taking improper benefits. The Trojan's running back accepted over $300,000 in expenses including a used house, from two sport agents. USC paid the ultimate price, having their Orange Bowl victory for the BCS championship and victories in 2005 erased. They were banned from postseason play for two years and 30 scholarships over three years were taken from them. The most electrifying athlete in college football also became the first player in Heisman Trophy history to return the award. From there the Trojans lost big time recruits and games, rebuilding over the years to get back to their winning ways. We can only wait for the NCAA's verdict on the Tar Heels' scandal for so long without thinking: "How harsh will their punishment be?" They can either give North carolina sanctions that can possibly lead to the death penalty or they will give them another slap on the wrist unlike the Trojans.

CHeats
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jun 25 2015, 08:57 PM
Post #432

Hall of Famer

IPB Image
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jun 26 2015, 10:59 PM
Post #433

Hall of Famer

Morgan Randall: unc players not to blame for scandal

“If you wanted to go to school to get an education, you should’ve gone to (expletive) Harvard,” unc football coach Butch Davis said. After a few seconds of silence, we started laughing and cheering. As scholarship football players at unc, we knew we were there to play football, but hearing the head coach proclaim it with such eloquence was a real treat.

Today it appears the unc administration agrees with Davis, at least when it comes to its athletes.

The “paper classes” at the heart of the unc scandal have widely been condemned as insufficient to qualify as college credit. Having taken two of these classes, I can confirm this to be the case. And while the courses took relatively little effort, no one questions whether I fulfilled their requirements.

This clear violation of academic integrity has prompted the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to place unc on academic probation. And in an effort to get the scandal behind it, the current administration seems more than willing to also accept NCAA sanctions that may include vacating wins and forfeiting postseason opportunities.

While many (especially those at The N&O) salivate for penalties like these, I see this approach as selling out students. The existence of “paper classes” was the university’s failure, not mine or my teammates’. Our wins on the field came through tremendous sacrifice – a sacrifice unc demanded of us. If someone didn’t qualify academically to play, it was up to the university to bear that out. unc, therefore, should stop blaming the victim for a dilemma of its own making.

Rather than accept the NCAA’s perverted definitions of “morality,” unc should stand up for its students. It is long overdue for an institution to resist the many injustices the NCAA advocates. I, along with every other athlete, did what was asked of me and more. Submitting to such punishments would provide a convenient scapegoat but in actuality only demean the athletes’ talents and efforts.

The university’s mea culpa is insincere if it sells out the students it is supposed to value and protect.

Maybe I should have taken Davis’ advice and gone to Harvard instead. Then perhaps my university would have valued at least part of my college career.

MORGAN RANDALL

GREENVILLE

The writer, an offensive lineman on the unc football team 2006-2008, graduated from the school in 2010 and completed medical school at University of Kentucky. The length limit was waived.

CHeats
Professor Wolf‏@ProfessrWolf

Michael Hausfeld has to be happy Morgan Randall offered a public deposition in the McCants/Ramsey vs unc/NCAA case. http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/letter...le25608529.html

CHeats
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jun 27 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #434

Hall of Famer

Professor Wolf ‏@ProfessrWolf

Michael Hausfeld has to be happy Morgan Randall offered a public deposition in the McCants/Ramsey vs unc/NCAA case. http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/letter...le25608529.html

B. Martin ‏@yibyabby

@ProfessrWolf I don't understand that editorial. Who in this saga is blaming players? Everyone seems to be claiming advocacy for players.

@yibyabby I agree with him. The University is to blame for lack of academic oversight. Every class should be worthy of college credit. I'd like to know the circumstances of his enrollment. Did he enroll himself or did ASPSA place him there?

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@ProfessrWolf @yibyabby Very hard to say. Those classes were "used" for many purposes, including creation of free time. Steered is possible.

Joy Renner and the Faculty Athletics Council held listening sessions on campus following the release of the Wainstein Report. When 9-month faculty return to campus, the unc Office of Faculty Governance should hold listening sessions to address SACS’ decision.

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@ProfessrWolf This common sense suggestion will be ignored by faculty convinced that unc has "suffered enough." That's...most faculty.

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@ProfessrWolf @yibyabby @jdthomas59 If wins/championships are vacated, you could say past players are harmed. But years after, who cares?

JD TOMMY ‏@jdthomas59

@jaysmith711 @ProfessrWolf @yibyabby System broken when HOF coach says "he's still eligible if he made 4 F's." Maybe true but wrong message

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@jdthomas59 @ProfessrWolf @yibyabby Indeed. "He's still eligible" should be Roy's epitaph. "Here lies a HOF bb coach...."

CHeats
+Quote Post

22 Pages V « < 20 21 22
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd July 2015 - 11:53 AM