> NCAA Crawls Some unx Azz
DevilDJ
post Oct 16 2014, 11:33 PM
Post #181

Hall of Famer

Group: Admin
Member No.: 36

Butch Davis: unc should be a top-10 program

The final poll of the 1998 season – that was the last time North carolina football was ranked in the AP top 10. Former head coach Butch Davis, who led the Tar Heels out onto the field as a ranked team 11 times in his four-year coaching stint from 2007-10, said there is no reason unc shouldn’t see the top 10 more often.

“I felt like it was an institution that had all the potential to be a top-10, top-5 football program in the country,” Davis said Thursday while joining Adam and Joe on 99.9 The Fan ESPN Radio. “We felt like we were headed in that direction and I actually thought we were going to play for the national championship in 2010, that we had accumulated enough athletes.”

unc fell very, very short of that 2010 national championship game despite beating Clemson and Florida State during the regular season. As Davis put it, the season was “derailed.”

Davis backed his reasoning for the top-10 assertion, though, saying, “There was immediate access to football players up and down the east coast. You could certainly recruit players from the state of North carolina -- there are probably 15-20 legitimate big-time, Division I football players in the state each year.”

Since 1937, unc has played 60 games as a top 10 ranked team, including one game as the No. 1 team in the nation. On Oct. 16, 1948, No. 1 unc beat NC State 14-0 but still fell back to No. 3 the following week.

So what is unc’s biggest problem? Davis said it’s a big mystery, but ultimately it comes down to support and consistency.

“You have to make (football) a priority,” Davis said. “In 2008, 09 and 10, we were pretty close to sellout crowds, hence the stadium enhancement. Obviously, like any other program, there has to be some consistency, there has to be some stability, it has to be made important. If it isn’t made important then certainly it won’t be.”

Davis continued on to say that the ACC isn’t necessarily a basketball-first conference like many fans in the Triangle assert. Schools like Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Florida State and Miami – where Davis coached for six season – are all football-first schools.

As far as returning to coaching, Davis, who currently works as a studio analyst for ESPN, said he would be open to it if the right opportunity came along. Where that is exactly, he didn’t tip his hand.

“You would like to have an opportunity at a place where the kids will get a great education. You would like to be in a place where football is important. You would like to get an opportunity to coach at a place that has reasonable access to athletes,” he said. “There are a variety of different things you turn over in your mind as to what might be the right place.”

CHeats

Podcast

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Just. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pookie
post Oct 17 2014, 06:25 AM
Post #182

Admonisher

Group: Member
Member No.: 32

Darkhorse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

unc-ch

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Oct 17 2014, 02:02 PM
Post #183

Hall of Famer

BrierCrick
Freshman
439 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report

Posted: Today 2:07 PM

Re: unc Scandal: Billboards! p 89/90

The "sleeping giant" myth is a persistent one. Decades of failing to live up to it haven't diminished the belief for a lot of people. It seems to be based on ... well, mostly, it seems to be based on talk being cheap. Other people say it, so a lot of people involved in football coaching and broadcasting just repeat it. Why not, what's the cost?

Let's look at this realistically. To be a "top 5 program in the nation", as Davis said he thinks unc can or should be, unc would need to out-compete most of these programs most of the time:

Notre Dame
Florida
Florida State
Alabama
Ohio State
Michigan
Southern Cal
Auburn
Penn State
Georgia
.. there are some that come and go I could also list, such as Clemson, but I'll leave it at this.

So what are unc's advantages, as a potential football power, against any of these? I have trouble thinking of a single advantage relative to any of these schools. I guess you could say that unc is the most popular football program in their state, Auburn and FSU are (usually) #2 in their states. How much does that matter if they have 80,000 fans coming to games anyway?

Are they supposed to be great because of basketball? How has that worked out for Kentucky and UCLA? But it'll work for unc because why?

Are they supposed to be great because they have a good academic reputation? OOPS. Anyway, is there evidence that this has ever been a key factor anywhere, in terms of sustained football success? (And it's an inapplicable argument at this point, anyway.)

Over the course of college football history, you could make the case that Duke is the best program in North carolina. For that matter, NC State has more ACC football championships than unc. ECU has pummeled unc two years in a row. If somebody said that unc is the state's fourth-best football program, they might be going out on a limb, but it wouldn't be a totally crazy argument.

So what's going to be different in the future than it's ever been in the past? unc has been good in basketball for a long time, and it hasn't helped them that much. unc had a good academic reputation for a long time and it never helped them, and that reputation is diminished now anyway. So what is going to change?

The reality of unc's college football status is that it is a not very big state university, with a mostly female student body, that does not have much passion for football. Crowds are small and quiet compared with the schools they think they equal. I honestly see more potential in the future for NCSU or ECU to grow than for unc to grow, in football, because they're already basically on the same level and have been for a while, and those schools actually are growing in stature and alumni base relative to unc (the Tar Heels have more elderly alumni, NCSU and ECU have much more comparable numbers of young alumni). However, I doubt any of the three will ever consistently match Clemson, let alone Alabama.

+216
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Oct 17 2014, 02:21 PM
Post #184

Hall of Famer

Barn Burner Sports‏@The_Barn_Burner

Be sure to check out @Sports_Guy8 piece on the #unc scandal https://barnburnersports.squarespace.com/bl...ion-almost-over

CHeats
unc Scandal Investigation "Almost" Over

Something that could be classified as a "never-ending" nightmare for the University of North carolina, could be coming to a close. Academic fraud seems to be something that unc just can't get fully away from, as it keeps coming up again and again. It first took place in 2011, but for some strange reason the case ended rather abruptly, and no penalties were passed down from the NCAA. Can't run forever unc, as the investigation was re-opened in June of this year.

The NCAA said they were investigating things such as no-show classes, made up grades etc. For those wondering why the case was being brought back up, here is why: there were people standing in line ready to spill their hearts out about what has been going in Chapel Hill. Even former basketball standout Rashad McCants got in line to take a shot at unc, as he basically told the world he had a phony degree from unc.

Late this September, it had been announced that the investigations were nearing a close. No word on whether any penalties will be dished out to the University, but one could only imagine that this time there will be. unc faithful will claim that every school does it, not just them. I would agree to a certain extent, as I feel unc is definitely not the only school pulling academic fraud, but unc is a repeat offender, and sometimes it take a harsh punishment in order for people to learn their lesson. At this point, it only logical that unc will receive some type of penalty, and what that will be is still up in the air. Considering that both Mens basketball and football were involved, expect to see things like limited number of scholarships, certain instructors, coaches getting put on probation (or fired).

Whatever happens in the end, hopefully unc has learned it's lesson (doubtful) because if they haven't the next time could end in serious punishments, something I don't think unc fans could handle.

CHeats

Only one comment so far. Disgruntled tarhole reader... laugh.gif
Ron Just now

fukk you!
+Quote Post
Lee Corso
post Oct 17 2014, 02:55 PM
Post #185

your dad

Member No.: 2

now there's two comments laugh.gif laugh.gif
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Oct 17 2014, 08:16 PM
Post #186

Hall of Famer

Carol Folt ‏@ChancellorFolt

Its employee appreciation day. Thank you to our hardworking employees who make carolina special! #KickUpYourHeels

Harry Ramstein ‏@HarryRamstein

@ChancellorFolt Please don't forget to thank former employees too: Prof Nyangaro, Jenn Wiley, Blake, Butch Davis etc

Karamel Korn ‏@BurntKaramel

@ChancellorFolt So proud to have employees like bradley bethel on the payroll.

DevilDJ ‏@DevilDJ32

@ChancellorFolt Chancellor: Mary/Jay/Madeline/Hodding et al also hardworking. Appreciation Day 4 them? Do they get a #KickUpYourHeels too?

CHeats
+Quote Post
Lee Corso
post Oct 17 2014, 08:20 PM
Post #187

your dad

QUOTE(DevilDJ @ Oct 17 2014, 09:16 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Oct 18 2014, 04:40 PM
Post #188

Hall of Famer

IC reacts to Butch Davis' comments...
He's right. It was right there for the taking. Then Thorp messed it up.

Exactly

Yea, you can't really blame Thorpe. It's kind of like blaming the CDC for Ebola.

"So what is unc’s biggest problem? Davis said it’s a big mystery, but ultimately it comes down to support and consistency." The towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro do not support the program. The university administration does not support the program. The fan base tries, but a top 10 program is never going to happen until the first two things change.

Butch Davis just said out loud on television what we all have known for as long as we've been fans. unc has the facilities, the money, and the prestige to have a top-10 program, but the school and town want to remain that sleepy little borough rather than be inconvenienced by all the visitors coming to rowdy up the place 6 or 7 Saturdays out of the year. Our fanbase, including the trolls who are actually carolina fans whether they admit it or not, falls into the "Blame HT" or "Blame Butch" or "Blame the Players" camp. Butch was in charge, so he shares some blame, but this was not on him alone. The charges were mostly overblown. At most, a few players should have sat a few games. Holden and his response to the suggestion of impropriety is why we forfeited multiple seasons, national opinion, and any future hope of a competitive football program. Thorp carries the largest burden for our current predicament. There is no reason that Chapel Hill cannot be just like Ole Miss during football season. Can you imagine if unc and NCSU both had top 5 football programs in the same season? (I am not wishing success on them, just illustrating the current situation in Mississippi) North carolina, the state, would have no idea what to do.

Butch is dead on. We are a national power in every sport except football. Why not football?? That is the question you have to ask? If we hired a big name coach, we would be on our way to a top 10 program very easily. We aren't ever gonna succeed trying to hire coaches from second tier schools that might one day be decent and then leave for a better job. Why not pay the money to make this one of the best jobs out there? Success will follow. Tired of hearing "well give this guy 3 years or this guy 5 years," it's been 3 and we're worse. Withers was better with Butch's players, even with all the suspensions.

Wanted to keep this exchange separate. One poster actually acknowledges the cheating...
Uh... the blame goes squarely on the adults in charge that facilitated the culture of rule breaking and fraud. And after all that mess I don't think unc has the stomach for big-time football anymore and the baggage that typically comes with it. Under Fedora I believe we'll see a very solid program in a couple years but, I'm not looking for national championship appearances out of this.

You mean the "greedy" players that may or may not have had enough money to eat and buy things for themselves? Is this still America? Are we teaching kids to take what they give you instead of earning what you deserve?

Every player was instructed on what can happen, what's allowed, and what's not allowed. But you can't be in the room with them everytime they're tempted. Sometimes you have to trust they'll do the right thing. Some guys likely didn't know they were doing something wrong. But others knew they were. I don't think this demonstrates a culter of rule breaking and fraud and am a little offended it was suggested. The adults were certainly responsible but the players who took things when they knew that it was wrong were to blame... at least for that part of the scandal.

Back to the usual whining and rationalizing...
as noted above, it's the "attitude" of the ptb in place in South Bldg, Manning Dr and Town of Chapel Hill. Its like talking and trying to convince people who are totally oblivious, the benefit of having a top notch football program, both financially and university wise. I work in the business community and it's comical how hard it is to "convince" people to commit to something. Yet you turn around and complain about the budget, etc., expenses. unc has the resources or the brand in place. but the thing that frustrates me with this university is it seems that it becomes too complacent with what it already has. it doesn't strive to be #1. we rely on "reputation" be it athletically or academically. i see it. we're content with having a 7 or 8 win fball program despite having all the advantages in place to be or should be a 9 win program on a consistent basis. and what's more angering is the so-called leaders who don't care or wanna keep doing shyt in the "carolina tradition" of how it was done or being doing it for the past 20-50 yrs....ughh...smh. that would frustrate me if i ran my staff or division in the same outdated mode and not improve or adjust my brand. sometimes, you need to leave traditions alone but other times when you need to enhance some things.
the town gown relationship between unc & Chapel Hill must've deteriorate since my yrs on the Hill. And the administration's commitment, speaks volume in what of the NCAA over the past 5 yrs now. Chapel Hill has too many Mary Willingham types running the asylum. People who are literally clueless about sports in general but complain when budget cuts go around every spring b/c of a lack of $$$ in the university. She would rather bite the hand that could assist feeding her! ignorance! sorry for the rant but Butch Davis is spot on. But Butch also is a hypocrite. You were mediocre at repetitive 8-4 seasons, couldn't beat one of the big in-state rivals, and hire a dirty @zz clown who brings the biggest scandal on the history of this institution YET you gonna demand pay raises? okay Butch. I'm not ignorant pal. You can recruit, but again LEADERSHIP folks! a real leader doesn't play the "oh i had no idea" game for poor personnel choices & decisions. and if you are gonna act ignorant as to what your staff was doing, you A).lack obvious communication skills B). just plain dumb! sorry. i like Butch but he's just a fraud and useless leader as Thorpe in my book! NO LEADERSHIP in Chapel Hill It's like you throw up your freaking hands and just say "i give up" b/c the dolts at unc are too cautious or oblivious or just plan ignorant when it comes to cfball and the potential of what it could do financially, socially, athletically for the university. why do you think places like Alabama, Michigan, Texas, TAMU, Ohio State have million$ to spend on facilities every yr? Oh yeah & that money also helps pay for those new dorms and library as well. they brand, they get it! this school doesn't and don't want to.

Wish he (Butch) was still here

Maybe so. But we would have won more than 8 games that season. Certainly, we would have had a good chance of beating LSU and GT with those 12 guys who were suspended for the first two games of the season, and I think the State game would have been a win if we had a full deck. As for the other two losses (at Miami and VT at home), we still didn't have a lot of our guys back for the 23 point loss at Miami and I can't remember exactly what was going on against VT. I know that we would have had a better chance to win both if we would have had Quinn...not to mention Marvin and Little. It is what it is, but I am amazed at how folks can look at 2010 and say something to the effect of "see...8 wins again means we weren't improving as a program." It's just mind-bogglingly obtuse. I doubt we would have won a national championship that year, but a 10 win season? Sure, that seemed possible. An ACC championship? Yes, that seemed possible as well. And all of that would have had a compounding effect on recruiting. Instead, the recruiting classes in 2011 and 2012 were destroyed because of doubt with the program and our friends in the league practicing negative recruiting. That was the opportunity that unc football needed. We had it and although folks may exaggerate HOW close we were to being a really good program to the point that many respond with rolling eyes, we had everything aligned pretty well to be good for a while. At least we were aligned as well as the program has ever been aligned in my lifetime. Talent level was super high, fan support was super high, national attention was high, our rivals and the competition throughout the league was low. We would have surpassed VT and Miami in the Coastal, and Clemson and FSU were not what they are today. We were set up to be one of the best 2-3 programs in the ACC for many years.

Completely agree with Coach Davis, who I think most of us can agree was hard done with the way everything went down here. I can't help but remember finding out on Friday before LSU that 12 players weren't making the trip to Atlanta. My heart just sunk. I strongly considered burning all my carolina gear. Despite that, unc was two Zach Pianalto drops away from winning that game in the final seconds - WITHOUT all of those players. Think about that for a second. Sadly, until carolina hires a proven head coach who has been successful at the highest level (read: NOT Conference USA), I don't think we'll ever see that level of talent or optimism surrounding the program happen again - and definitely not until two to three years into that coach's tenure.

No reason not to be a top 10 program. Great high school football in this state.
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Oct 20 2014, 04:40 PM
Post #189

Hall of Famer

Bob Lee...
Yes indeed..... The Butcher of Kenan went on the air waves last week to throw raw meat to the Old Well Walking Dead. In a local talk show appearance that rattled board monkey cages from Fuquay to Mebane and all points in-between..... The Butcher reiterated that unc should be “a Top Ten program”. Butcher was sorta right.

unc “could be” if the BOT3 (plus Dickie) had lived up to their “assurance” to him that “You can go get all the players you need to win. We have a system in place to handle their admissions and eligibility”. Apparently there WAS indeed such a system in place. Then Young Marvin hit SEND and then..... and then..... and then....

NOTE: Within 45 minutes of this column being posted Monday morning, Ken Wainstein announced he will be "reporting" this Wednesday at 1:30PM. A coincidence? Yeah, sure (wink, wink). Check the Reader Comments for more on-going dialogue on all this.

Earl

Damn BL.... no sooner do you mention The Wainstein Report than "they" say it will be this Wednesday !!! VERY Impressive BL.

BL:

"just a smart aleck with a website". Wonder if The Big Show will be at BOG HQ or will "they" move it to [/b]The Dean Dome?

Is it proper to tailgate before A Wainstein Report?

Amedeo's is adding 28 more flat-screens for the occasion.

I've already heard from both "Mary" (do you really wonder "Mary Who"?) and from "Butch's lawyer" whether I plan to be on-hand Wednesday for The Big Show? ..... Hell Yes!

Finally an event where it might be OK for Tar Heels fans to "wear black".

Wonder if "they" will be operating shuttles to the site - Kenan Center Rm 204?

Are deviled eggs and country ham biscuits appropriate tailgate fare for such an occasion?

If Ken "drops the hammer" will Wuffs be burning sofas on The Brickyard? .... If Ken does NOT "drop the hammer" will Wuffs burn sofas on The Brickyard ???

Will Charming Little Carol wear her 8" stiletto Jimmy Chus?

Does Ol'Roy even have a clue where The Kenan Center is? .... It's next door to Dean's Dome.

Woody said "always carry a fresh Sharpie" for autograph requests. I guess I need to have several on-hand. Will Dan Kane be giving autographs? Would Dan sign 2,000 items for free like Jameis did ????

Can I persuade BubbaTheRealAD to invite Rachel Bilson to hand out Magnum bars?

soooo many questions ???

MORE FROM: BobLee 2.0

I'm sure all of YOU KNOW (because 98% of this audience have functioning brains as well as opposable thumbs) that Ken Wainstein......

Cannot and WILL NOT levy any penalties or even recommend any institutional punishment in his upcoming report.

He is NOT a Judge or a member of any tribunal empowered to (1) slap wrists, (2) tear down banners and/or (3) bulldoze Domes or Stadia.

The findings he announces on Wednesday may very well / likely then be used by The NCAA and/or other organizations to exact pounds of flesh from unc-CH as appropriate. But he will NOT do so on Wednesday.

That reality however will be totally ignored by innumerable rabid ABC lynch mob loonies beginning around 2:00 PM on Wednesday and proceeding unceasingly for at least 72 hours if not longer.

Just going-on-record here so when you see monkey boards and regional media boards EXPLODE you can smile and say "that darn BobLee predicted this".

FWIW.... all of my inside sources in Old Well Land are "pessimistic" at best. Not sure if some info has leaked or interviewees are blabbing, but "it ain't looking too good" amid the pines or beneath the banners.

Me? I want what I've always wanted - The BOT3 and Little Dickie EXPOSED for their gross negligence, arrogance, and terminal cluelessness.

Stay tuned boys & girls.....

PS: I ran into "Burly John" Bunting Saturday night at The Choo Choo Lounge. He is looking good and appears VERY happy.

DownEast Heel

What's the over/under on Shaka Smart being named new unc basketball coach? I'm sure between Vegas and Ladbrokes there is a line on that.

Any rumors if baseball has been implicated in any way?

Think the SEC will ever look under the covers at real football schools?

Don't know about a penalty, but I'm pretty sure rubbing a long snapper is immoral at least. Unless you happen to be Ron Cherry in which case all bets are off.

BL:

ORW has a 2:00 tee time on Wednesday out at Old Chatham. He thinks Ken Wainstein is a sous chef at The carolina Inn. “Report…. what friggin' report?”

Anyone holding a "Roy will be gone by Turkey Day" betting slip is still in the game.

I have ZERO “poop” about contents of THE REPORT. I doubt seriously it involves baseball, fencing, chick crew, or cheerleading.

NO on ever peeking into SEC. Their “systems in place” are rock-solid. No SEC school claims to be “The Harvard of ANYWHERE”.

M_N

I will be seriously surprised if anything is in that report that gets anything more than a sideways glance from the NCAA. I expect some level of whitewashness. Perhaps less than the Martin report, but still...

BL:

It is the nature of a certain cynical faction to always think that way. If Swoffy is seen lurking off-stage all bets are off.

Laurie

IF, and its a HUGE IF, Ken really does "drop the hammer" on Ol' Roy's set-up, what do you predict short & long-term?

BL:

Immediate reaction #1 "Who is this dadgum friggin' Ken Wainstein?" .....

Immediate reaction #2 involves a tranquilizer dart and a straight jacket.... and about twenty minutes of "can't miss" You Tube footage.

Then likely.... Hubert Davis gets the dreaded "Everett Withers role" as "interim guy" while Lunatic Fringe crowd vigorously debate George Karl, John Kuester, Larry Brown (of course!), Calipari, Pitino, Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach, Rick Barnes, Mo Rivers, Shaka Smart, Bill Belichek, and Matt Doherty 2.0 (OK, just kidding with that last one).

That should carry us well into Thursday don't you think?

Doug

"Me? I want what I've always wanted - The BOT3 and Little Dickie EXPOSED for their gross negligence, arrogance, and terminal cluelessness."

Terminal cluelessness is possibly the worst possible indictment of a unc edumucated graduate. I wonder if the BOT3 + little "D" took the 60's-70's equivalent of AAS. Perhaps it was WASP studies back then. After all, certain untalented and anointed wimps that can't run fast, jump high, or shoot a ball through a peach basket sometimes deserve help too. Particularly those that might be of some assistance if there are future problems. The future is now.

BL:

DB is/was simply a clueless bureaucratic dweeb in a drunken stupor from 40 years of mainlining 200 proof carolina Way wine.

The BOT3 were determined to get "bragging rights" at their exclusive clubs and gated enclaves.... at whatever the cost to the institution. They sold out using "Everybody does it" situational ethics. Disgraceful!

Wolfpack00

I just have to know... Is this having any effect on recruiting?

Couldn't resist!

BL:

BabsTheBOT's memorable quote will live forever in the annals of TGU. As well it should.

TomInAtlanta

I've said this so many times over the years, but today's column PLUS the Reader Comments might be BEST EVER!

BL:

"EVER" being from almost 1,700 BLSays entries? YIKES! ..... you including "Did carolina Marry A Stripper" ????

The short-term future might present some incredible column fodder to break the record.

BobLee
+Quote Post
blueduke
post Oct 20 2014, 05:43 PM
Post #190

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 13

Looking for yet another whitewash. If it were bad news for unc this thing would be released at around 5pm on a Friday
+Quote Post
Lee Corso
post Oct 20 2014, 06:35 PM
Post #191

your dad

The good news, and I wasn't 100% sure of this until today, is that the NCAA is indeed investigating and will use the Weinstein report as a foundation. Weinstein isn't out to find "NCAA violations". Hopefully the ncaa will see the obvious violations.
+Quote Post
blueduke
post Oct 20 2014, 07:06 PM
Post #192

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 13

NCAA gonna pounce on a whitewash? They didn't take a second look at McCants transcript revelation but they're going to take Weinstein report and go head hunting? Keep dreamin. Wed release means it ain't gonna be bad. the fact that unc has insisted this investigation is thorough and the final word should tell us this
+Quote Post
Lee Corso
post Oct 20 2014, 09:25 PM
Post #193

your dad

QUOTE(blueduke @ Oct 20 2014, 08:06 PM) *

NCAA gonna pounce on a whitewash? They didn't take a second look at McCants transcript revelation but they're going to take Weinstein report and go head hunting? Keep dreamin. Wed release means it ain't gonna be bad. the fact that unc has insisted this investigation is thorough and the final word should tell us this

I think the NCAA will look at the McCants revelation and combine it with the Weinstein report as well as all the other evidence.
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Oct 26 2014, 04:21 PM
Post #194

Hall of Famer

Jets’ Coples: ‘Bad media’ to blame for unc scandal

Despite vast evidence to the contrary, Jets linebacker Quinton Coples thinks North carolina is getting a bad rap for the long-running academic scandal the school’s own investigator unveiled this week.

The former Tar Heels standout told The Post on Friday that the controversy — at least 3,100 athletes over 18 years took fake classes to stay eligible — is an unfair stain on an academically prestigious school.

“[The scandal] just leaves a bad taste in your mouth,” said Coples, who played for North carolina from 2008-2011. “It’s such a great place, and it’s constantly being interrogated and torn down by bad media.”

The scandal, which was confirmed in a report released Wednesday after an eight-month investigation, now threatens the Tar Heels’ football and men’s basketball programs with severe NCAA sanctions.

The fake-class scheme was reportedly carried out by two members of the African-American Studies program, which was one of Coples’ two majors. He said Friday he never took one of the “paper classes” at the heart of the scandal and, as a result, was never interviewed as part of the investigation.

Coples, who said he expects to graduate this summer with a degree in communications, said he heard of teammates taking easy classes, but refused to do the same because he was serious about his education.
“I went to North carolina for a reason,” Coples said. “That’s a dream school if you’re from North carolina, and I never wanted anything to be just given to me. That’s not how I operate.”

Coples said he fears for the future of the school’s reputation and its athletic programs because of the scandal.
“That school did a lot for me, so it hurts to see it dragged through the mud like this,” he said. “It’s a painful time. You just hope for the best.”

CHeats

laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Pookie
post Oct 27 2014, 09:17 AM
Post #195

Admonisher

Member No.: 32

bad media no nice to wittle unc
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Oct 27 2014, 03:45 PM
Post #196

Hall of Famer

Emmert calls North carolina report 'troubling'

NCAA President Mark Emmert says the findings of a report into alleged academic fraud at the University of North carolina are "deeply troubling" and "absolutely disturbing."
The 20-minute interview with The Associated Press marked the first time he has commented publicly since Kenneth Wainstein's report was released last Wednesday.

Emmert spoke on a wide range of issues including the issue of selling autographs.
While commending Georgia for holding out Heisman Trophy candidate Todd Gurley while it investigated alleged rules violations, Emmert declined to talk about Florida State's decision to allow Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston to play as the school investigates similar allegations. Emmert acknowledged that if it turns out any school plays someone who is later deemed ineligible, those victories could be vacated.

CHeats
+Quote Post
Lee Corso
post Oct 27 2014, 04:59 PM
Post #197

your dad

At least we know Emmert has a pulse.
Pretty big news that he spoke about unc. biggrin.gif