Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NCAA Crawls Some unx Azz
Lee Corso
post Jan 10 2015, 12:19 PM
Post #321

your dad

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

From Jay Smith vs Bradley Bethel emails....

IPB Image

you owe yourself a look laugh.gif laugh.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jan 11 2015, 08:14 PM
Post #322

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 36

Done deal...?
packphinsfan
All-ACC
10170 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 1:32 PM

Re: DC Gene Chizik to unc

Supposedly (per IC posts from some dude on twitter) he is at KFC going over film on the D.
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jan 13 2015, 10:25 PM
Post #323

Hall of Famer

Re: "The Vetting of Gene Chizik"

B'rer Chansky is "The Point of The Spear" monitoring the activity re: Gene Chizik - Yes / No / Maybe / Hell No. .... AC reports "internal debate" continues as to appropriateness of Chizik hire. Geee, ya think?

Oddly, the opinions of rival fan factions are NOT a factor in the debate according to AC's source.

I'm betting it DOES NOT happen but it will be sooo much more fun for me if it does.

CHeats
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jan 16 2015, 11:08 AM
Post #324

Hall of Famer

I'm Calling it : Gene Chizik WILL BE the next Defensive Guru / Messiah at carolina.

Reliable "insider sources confirm" the baggage-totin' former Auburn HC IS coming to Kenan to work his magic on Larry Fedora's woeful defense.

Image Be Damned ..... it's Full Speed Ahead - Just Win Larry - for unc's Embattled Football Program.

Yes.... Gene will have John Blake's old office. OUCH!

CHeats
BobLee@BobLeeSays

I'm Calling It . Baggage-totin' Gene Chizik WILL be hired at unc. Flagship saying - "Just Win Larry (& Gene)".

CHeats
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jan 16 2015, 03:34 PM
Post #325

Hall of Famer

An offensive pick for a defensive coach at unc

Will unc never learn? read the subject line of the email. Indignation wafting from the computer, the following question loomed in my inbox:

Gene Chizik is to become a coach for the football team? The guy who recruited Cam Newton and arranged to have him (his father, actually) to play for Auburn? No!!!

This response to the news that unc plans to hire Gene Chizik as its defensive coordinator reminded me of a 2008 scene at the Auburn airport. As Chizik and the Auburn athletic director arrived, a heckler bellowed: "We want a leader, not a loser!"

The scene was replayed over and over on ESPN, local news shows and YouTube—an indication of how underwhelmed Chizik's hiring left much of the Auburn faithful. Not because of any ethical qualms, but because he was 5-19 at Iowa State as a head coach.

The question now, though, does include some concerns about behavior, not just wins and losses. Based on the news of academic fraud that has come out of Chapel Hill over the past couple of years, it would seem that unc has answered which matters more.

There may be some hesitation, though. While various media outlets have reported that Chizik will become the new defensive coordinator, he has not yet officially been hired and announced as such. More recent reports say that unc is still vetting his record and investigating his background.

First, a quick explanation: Auburn plays in the SEC, where football is king, and is the cross-state rival of the University of Alabama. Their rivalry was once declared "the most venomous" in the nation by a TV pundit.

There is nothing in that state, my home state, more important than college football. Take what this area considers passion for basketball and multiply it a hundredfold. You scoff, but have any Duke or State fans killed 130-year-old oak trees because they were upset over a loss? Sorority girls in Tuscaloosa wear houndstooth lingerie because of a hat worn by a coach who's been dead for 32 years. Are any of you wearing Dean Smith-inspired bras? At both schools, the annual spring game, aka a meaningless scrimmage, draws 85,000, about 22,000 people more than Kenan Memorial Stadium—the largest of the Triangle's football stadiums—can hold.

So yeah, it's that serious, which is why Chizik went from meh to messiah for Auburn fans. In his second year, he led the Tigers to the national championship.

But during that championship run, questions arose outside of the fan base. The first controversy swirled around possible improprieties in the recruitment of Auburn's quarterback, future carolina Panther Cam Newton.

Cam's father, Cecil, allegedly had asked Mississippi State through an intermediary—ex-Mississippi State player Kenny Rogers—for $120,000 to $180,000 for Cam to sign with them out of junior college. (Seems reasonable—have you been to Starkville, Mississippi?)

But Cam went to Auburn, so, naturally, the assumption was that Auburn had outbid the Bulldogs. Danny Sheridan, a nationally known sports handicapper, claimed vociferously that he knew the identity of "the bagman" Auburn allegedly used to pay the older Newton $200,000 plus another $30,000 to his Georgia church.

Sheridan claimed to have passed a lie detector test but never released the name because, he said, he feared being sued. The NCAA publicly rebuked him for "unsubstantiated claims."

Chizik kept the team on track through the constant media drip drip drip of rumors, news and pseudo-news. Auburn eventually suspended Newton because of the matter during the week before the SEC Championship game, but reinstated him a day later after the NCAA cleared him of wrong-doing and declared him eligible to play. (Auburn's defense was that Cam had no idea what his dad and Rogers were asking Mississippi State, and that there was no evidence any other school had been asked for money. Emphasis mine.)

Auburn fans answered all the criticism publicly with "The NCAA cleared him" and privately with "We got a bargain if we got him for only $200,000." Because, in the SEC, if you're not cheating, you're Vanderbilt.
Then, unfortunately for Chizik, Cam went to the pros, offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn left for a head coaching position and Auburn fell from national champion to a record of 8-5 followed by 3-9.

You post records like that and suddenly people take notice of your "out of control" program. They ask why you have to hire a private firm to run curfew checks on your players, as Chizik did. Four members of the 2010 championship team getting arrested for robbery in March 2011 is considered a black eye for the program instead of a few individuals making bad choices. Players being arrested for public intoxication become a symptom of a lack of discipline instead of college kids being college kids. And every serious Southern football fan knows that lack of discipline leads to stupid penalties which leads to losses and, well, we can't have that.

There were also NCAA investigations of the recruitment of Memphis running back Jovon Robinson (a high school guidance counselor had created a fake transcript) and allegations by four former players that they had been paid thousands during their careers. There was no wrong-doing found on the part of Chizik or Auburn in either case.

So Chizik ends up fired and working for ESPN as a surprisingly decent studio analyst. (Surprising because during his tenure at Auburn it seemed as if he never said anything beyond "We're just going to do what we do and not worry about things we don't have any control over.")

Of course, it was the 3-9 season and humiliations by Georgia and Alabama that got him fired from Auburn, not the NCAA investigators racking up loyalty rewards at local hotels or any off-the-field player incidents. According to a New York Times report, at the University of Florida there were at least 31 arrests of Gator football players while Urban Meyer coached the team from 2005-2010. But Gator fans were sad when he left and angry when he took over at Ohio State. And, of course, Florida State this year had its share of "dirty program" accusations centering on allegations the local police department gave players a break when trouble arose, the most famous instance being the sexual assault case involving Jameis Winston. (If only I knew how to punt, I might have paid FSU a few hundred dollars less in campus parking fines.) If Chizik had won like that, he'd still be wearing orange and blue.

When it comes to big-time college football, what matters most is the won-loss record (we won't get into big-time college basketball and getting top recruits from AAU programs because, in these parts, that would take me from preachin' to meddlin').

If the Tar Heels go through with the hiring, the good news would be that Gene Chizik is an excellent defensive coordinator. The bad news is that he would probably fit right in at unc.

CHeats
+Quote Post
Pookie
post Jan 16 2015, 04:23 PM
Post #326

Admonisher

Group: Member
Member No.: 32

lol, just picked that mag up this morning and was reading it
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jan 19 2015, 04:06 PM
Post #327

Hall of Famer

unc Officially Names Gene Chizik D-Coordinator

After weeks of speculation surrounding former Auburn national championship-winning head coach Gene Chizik, the vetting process is now over.

unc head football coach Larry Fedora announced Monday the latest addition to his coaching staff. Coach Chizik will attempt to resurrect a defense that ranked near the bottom of the NCAA in most statistical categories last season.

***Full statement from unc***

University of North carolina head coach Larry Fedora announced Monday that Gene Chizik has been hired as the Tar Heels’ defensive coordinator. Chizik, who won national championships at Auburn and Texas, has long been considered one of the brightest defensive coaches in college football and is an experienced leader who will work with Fedora to achieve excellence on and off the field.

Chizik, 53, served as head coach at Auburn from 2009-12 and led the Tigers to three bowl victories, including the 2011 BCS title game, which followed an undefeated 2010 season. Previously, he was the defensive coordinator at Texas under Mack Brown when the Longhorns captured the 2005 national championship.

Chizik also was Auburn’s defensive coordinator from 2002-04 where he built one of the nation’s most dominating defenses. In 2004, he earned the Broyles Award as the top assistant coach in the country when Auburn went 13-0, won the Southeastern Conference and finished No. 2 in both national polls.

Since leaving Auburn in 2012, Chizik has served as an analyst for ESPN, working most recently with the SEC Network. He also worked as a college football analyst with Sirius/XM radio.

“Throughout the hiring process, I worked closely with athletic director Bubba Cunningham to invest in someone who believes in the mission of the University and shares our vision of providing an outstanding experience to the student-athletes,” said Fedora. “Gene Chizik believes in competing at the highest level both on and off the field and is another highly regarded leader for our program.”

“I’m thrilled to join Coach Fedora’s staff and I appreciate the trust he and athletic director Bubba Cunningham have in me,” said Chizik. “It is a tremendous opportunity to coach at one of the most prestigious Universities in the country and live in Chapel Hill. I’m committed to the student-athlete experience they expect at carolina, and look forward to developing our players into the best they can be in all areas of their lives.”

As head coach at Auburn, Chizik had an Academic Progress Rate (APR) of 970 or above in three of his four seasons, including a 985 in his third year and a 978 in his final season. APR is a team-based metric that accounts for the eligibility and retention of each student-athlete, each term. The highest score attainable is 1000.

“Academic success is one of the highest priorities for our team and we are committed to bringing in coaches and staff who value and protect our academic integrity,” said Fedora.

Chizik has also been heavily involved in college football reforms. Just this past August, the NCAA invited him to serve on a 12-person committee tasked with examining the recruiting culture in college football and evaluating the current national letter of intent signing dates. The committee was organized in conjunction with the NCAA and reported to the Collegiate Commissioners Association.

Throughout his career, Chizik’s players have earned several national awards, including the Heisman Trophy, Maxwell Award, Walter Camp Player of the Year Award, Lombardi Award and Thorpe Award.

Chizik was head coach at Iowa State from 2007-08. He also coached previously at Clemson, Middle Tennessee State and Central Florida.

Chizik earned his B.A. degree in education from Florida in 1985 and his M.A. in guidance and counseling from Clemson in 1991.

A Clearwater, Fla., native, Chizik and his wife, Jonna, have identical twin daughters, Landry Grace and Kennedy Danielle, and a son, Cally.

CHeats
Jan 19,'15: IT'S OFFICIAL: Chizik Hired As unc DC !!

Let the hootin' & hollerin' commence! The Vetting Is Over - Gene Chizik is "amid the lofty pines". Can "rivers of blood" be far behind?

CHeats
Andrew Carter@_andrewcarter

unc finally announces the Chizik hire.

CHeats

#carolinaway
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jan 19 2015, 04:36 PM
Post #328

Hall of Famer

BDevilU
Posting Icon
28345 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report
Posted: Today 11:07 AM

Re: unc $candal: Tom Ross out as unc system prez

Chizik officially hired by unc... announced on a holiday when no one is watching.

Marc O. Chambers
All-American
4841 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report
Posted: Today 11:38 AM

Re: unc $candal: Tom Ross out as unc system prez

The Chizik hire demonstrates a couple of things:

1. It means that the "win at all costs" crowd is still calling the shots at unc, and

2. It means that same crowd is extraordinarily tone-deaf about how bad this hire looks against the backdrop of the scandal.

Either they are in crazy levels of denial or they think they really can lawyer-and-stonewall their way out of this mess or they just really don't give a crap anymore. Likely means also that their feints at "reform" are just window-dressing and they intend to find better ways to cheat in the future.

In any case, they are "all in".

jml2621
Scout Subscriber
The Professor
36846 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report
Posted: Today 1:09 PM

Re: unc $candal: Chizik officially hired... on a holiday

A huge middle finger to integrity and the process. Clearly, they believe the NCAA will let the 'holes slide. Cynically, I';d argue the recent Joe Pa leniency is to take the heat off the NCAA if they seep Grades for Play under the rug.

Move along.
+Quote Post
Pookie
post Jan 19 2015, 04:38 PM
Post #329

Admonisher

Member No.: 32

I think it's hilarious that they think this is some savior for them.

State is gonna beat the dogshit out of them next year.
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jan 19 2015, 04:41 PM
Post #330

Hall of Famer

"COMMENTS" section...
BobLee Says · Internet Provocateur at Internet Legend at bobleesays.com

There is no "legal" reason NOT to hire Chizik. He was not "Bruce Pearled". There may certainly be "other reasons" but not a "legal" one.

CHeats

IPB Image
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jan 19 2015, 04:51 PM
Post #331

Hall of Famer

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9

The John Blake Wait is over in Chapel Hill as unc officially names Gene Chizik its defensive coordinator

CHeats

Jones is a hole too. I'd like to see how this went over with his unx followers but he blocked me. What a betch. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
lefty01nc
Towel Boy
783 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 12:00 PM
Re: DC Gene Chizik to unc

I just got it straight from the horses mouth. Friday (or very soon) there will be some very good news.

This is sure to tighten every sphincter in CH. It is their worst nightmare.

Horse also says "they had to get rid of" Tom Ross to hire Chizik.
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jan 19 2015, 05:16 PM
Post #332

Hall of Famer

unc confident in Gene Chizik, despite allegations of NCAA violations

North carolina coach Larry Fedora had wanted to work with Gene Chizik for a while now after long admiring the way his defenses played, and now that opportunity has arrived.

unc formally announced the hiring of Chizik, the former head coach at Iowa State and Auburn, as the Tar Heels' defensive coordinator – a hire that had been reported weeks ago.

Chizik had been viewed as one of the best available defensive coaches for hire at at the major college football level, though his arrival at unc comes with questions that Fedora addressed unprompted during a recent interview with The News & Observer.

“Just like everybody, we vetted him completely and are very comfortable with where we're at,” Fedora said of Chizik, who was accused of committing major NCAA violations. “I mean, there were some unsubstantiated allegations out there about him and what's happened in the past.”

Chizik led Auburn to the 2010 national championship but was fired two seasons later after the Tigers went 3-9. Months after his dismissal Selena Roberts, a former writer for the New York Times and Sports Illustrated, reported that Auburn committed several NCAA violations under Chizik's watch.

Several former Auburn players told Roberts, among other things, that during Chizik's tenure Auburn changed grades to keep players eligible and that the school offered thousands of dollars in effort to keep potential NFL draft picks from leaving school.

In a statement released through his attorney, Chizik denied the allegations.

“During my time as Auburn's head coach, I never authorized, instructed or directed anyone to change any player's grade or provide any type of illegal payment to any student-athlete,” Chizik said.

Fedora said unc investigated Chizik's past and found no reason to believe the allegations were true. The university for years has been mired in academic and athletic scandals that have damaged unc's reputation and cost millions. Meanwhile, the NCAA continues to investigate how a long-running scheme of African Studies paper classes benefited athletes.

Chizik's hire, then, is likely to be scrutinized by critics and university supporters alike who have grown tired of scandal and the perception that athletics has too much influence at the university.

“The NCAA, I know, reviewed all those allegations and couldn't substantiate any of iit,” Fedora said of Chizik. “And so we're very comfortable with his background and where he's at.”

CHeats
+Quote Post
wopacker1980
post Jan 19 2015, 09:51 PM
Post #333

Board Archivist

Member No.: 6

QUOTE(DevilDJ @ Jan 19 2015, 05:16 PM) *

CHeats
Fedora said unc investigated Chizik's past and found no reason to believe the allegations were true.

Whew, that makes me feel better about everything, anyone who could withstand a withering unx internal investigation gets my seal of approval.
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jan 20 2015, 09:25 PM
Post #334

Hall of Famer

Gene Chizik: Is the already scrutinized school, right in choosing a scrutinized coach?

Gene Chizik's Scrutiny

On January 19, 2015, the North carolina Tar Heels hired ex-Auburn Tigers head coach and defensive coordinator Gene Chizik. Under Gene Chizik, the Auburn Tigers went to the 2010 BCS National Championship and a 14-0 record as a head coach, and then to the last BCS National Championship in a losing effort against FSU as a defensive coordinator. But here's the reason why Gene was demoted to DC. Besides the fact he went extremely downhill after the Championship, in his last year he went 3-9, a report by Selena Roberts, a former writer for the New York Times and Sports Illustrated, came out reporting that Auburn committed several NCAA violations under Chizik’s watch. Several former Auburn players told Roberts, among other things, that during Chizik’s time, as the head coach, Auburn changed grades to keep players eligible, and that the school offered thousands of dollars in effort to keep potential NFL draft picks from leaving school. This is a major worry for many people in the NCAA considering, he's going to a school already accused of fabricating grades, so players can remain eligible.

North carolina's Scrutiny

North carolina was investigated in 2010-2011 for committing academic fraud. Michael McAdoo stated that he had term papers and major grade assignments done for him. It was revealed that a football player got an A- for this paper:

IPB Image

Numerous football and basketball-players joined African and Afro-American Studies (AFAM) and they were allowed to get away with this type of work. Many players took this class knowing all they had to do was write one paper and then they don't have to come to class for the rest of the semester.

Why this hire is a bad idea

Hiring Gene Chizik will cause more scrutiny come to the athletics department and I believe that many players will start to come to play for the Tar Heels knowing they can get away with bad grades and still play.

CHeats
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jan 20 2015, 10:02 PM
Post #335

Hall of Famer

Like MLK, unc "Had A Dream" re: Gene Chizik

This website chronicles the extremes of human foolishness. Finding topics is hardly on par with Jason looking for The Golden Fleece or Dr Livingstone searching for the headwaters of De Nile. Juicy choices present themselves every day. Rarely is a choice so obvious on so many levels.

Within 48 hours (1) a University System President making $600,000 is lame-duckerized and (2) an Assistant Football Coach, with “baggage”, is hired within that same system at $691,000/yr. Meanwhile the NFL is aflutter over how much air is in a football.

Not even MLK's “dream” was as controversial as The Vetting & Hiring of Eugene C. Chizik.

I do apologize for the length of this column, but how often do we have us A Guru Hiring? This is, by the way, all predicted in Revelation. Chapter 7 or 8 as I recall.

The number $691,000/yr for three years HAS BEEN VERIFIED. I’m sure the forensic hackers at PackPride already have that info, along with the breakfast cereal of choice of the Chizik twins. I hear its Frosted Flakes but my sources are not that solid.

Lets cut to the quick here..... Gene Chizik – Auburn – NattyChamps – Cam – Rumors – Investigations – Allegations – “Baggage” – uncCH – Butcher / Blake – Tutors – Marvin – Greg – Mary & Jay – Julius – Deborah – “Dickie” – carolina Way – Jim Martin - Greatly Unpleasant” – Fedora – Aloft – Logo Stomp – Duke Locker Room – Defense – 35-7 – Accreditation – Little Carol – Wainstein – Skadden Arp. If I missed anything in that summation, feel free to add it to your copy.

The #1 Reason that Issue de’ Chizik is soooo freakin’ juicy is because the extreme radical factions of both TruBlues and ABC Nation are both in such Joyous Celebration.

When ECU whomped the crap out of The Fedorians the past two Autumns, PirateNation was euphoric but not TruBlues. In November when WuffDave whomped the crap outta the boys in the chrome helmets with the goofy foot on the side, Wuffs were euphoric but not TruBlues. Last week when Marcus proved again that the P in PNC stands for Page, Roys Boyz were euphoric, but not so BK, ‘68 and The Brickyarders. ...... But Clockwork Chizik has everybody claiming victory.

From the back alleys of legendary Franklin Street to lofty suites high atop The Blue Zone, the bug-eyes of TruBlue board monkeys are even more buggier. They have themselves a certified, card-carrying “GURU” to awaken their GIANT potential and lead them to CFP Glory.

NOTE: The same bug-eyed board monkeys turning backflips about Gene The Guru were also turning backflips when Burly John signed Mike Paulos.... instead of that little whozit from Richmond – Russell Something. Lesson: Don’t buy stock in backflipping board monkeys.

Sure, Gene The GURU only caught lightning in a bottle one season on the legs and arms of a once-in-a-career Wunderkin, but hey. The Chizik Dynasty @ Jordan-Hare was shorter-lived than the Nashville career of Miley Cyrus’ daddy, Billy Ray, but hey.

Hey, Gene The Guru has two NattyChmp RINGs (he got one as Mack’s DC) that will bedazzle the Young Fedorians. Hey..... The Butcher & Blake (who?) had a fist fulla bedazzling Super Bowl RINGS. How’d that turn out?

Yes, Gene The Guru brings a U-Haul of allegations and rumors as regards how he caught that lightning in a bottle that one year..... and then the bottle was suddenly empty. But hey; ya know the Motto of The SEC.... “If you ain’t cheatin’ you don’t wanna win bad enuff!” The corollary to that being “It ain’t cheatin’ lessen you gets caught.” You think Little Carol heard those mottos up yonder at Dartmouth?

But ya know what “they say” on Franklin Street – “Everybody Does It!”

What sneaky recruiting and eligibility flim flammery Gene The Guru mighta maybe done at Auburn ain’t Top Secret stuff. Any coach who’s been around Big Time College Football for a fortnight knows all the tricks. Larry knows’em. WuffDave knows’em. DukeDave knows’em. Nick and Urban sure know’em. John Blake (who?) knew’em. Not to change sports but Larry Brown DEFINITELY knows’em. OUCH! Now, to what degree everybody that knows those tricks uses those tricks is a matter of endless debate.

Recruiting and Eligibility FlimFlamming is like a 4-3 or a 3-4 defense. There are only so many ways you can draw Xs and Os. Gene isn’t bringing any new “tricks” to Kenan that Kenan didn’t already have. Whether they employ them is, again, a matter of endless debate.

In The Official Announcement yesterday, Larry and Gene made it a point to use “academics”, “prestigious university”, “student-athletes”, “developing young men”, and “classroom achievement”, etc almost as often as John Edwards used to tell us how much he loved Elizabeth. Were Larry, Gene and John trying to convince us..... or themselves?

Larry Fedora’s Job #1, 2, and 3 is to win as many football games as he can. Gene Chizik is being brought in to increase the odds of that happening. Any incentives concerning academics, Team GPA, eligibility majors, reading comprehension, et al are chump change compared to what both Larry and Gene can make at “the next level”.

Larry Fedora came to Kenan three years ago with Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams. Kenan would be his steppingstone to the rarified air of The Big Buck Juggernauts. His ascent has, alas, hit a snag.

Gene breathed that Juggernaut Air for the briefest of time. He liked it. He wants to inhale it again. Who wouldn’t? Can together Larry & Gene reach the summit of Big Buck Juggernaut Mountain?

Meanwhile gathered ‘round the impenetrable fence conveniently separating unc-CH from Reality is a mob of blood thirsty Death Penalty advocating ABCers. They’re not carrying votive candles. They are carrying pitchforks and torches and their thirst for C-Blue blood is voracious. They think of little else 24/7. They want lofty pines and boastful banners to be torn down and torn down RIGHT NOW..... and lets throw John Swofford in a wood chipper too..... feet-first so the pain is more intense.

Hiring Gene The Guru at $91,000 more than Ichabod Ross rakes in, is HERESY they squawk. They could care less about Ichabod of course. Nobody really cares about Ichabod Ross even the media weasels lamenting his lame duckerization. I digress.

Should ABCers, especially those of a lupine persuasion, be concerned with Larry hiring a Guru? Uh, No.

Both unc and NCSU have employed Smiling John Tenuta in recent years. So have tOSU, GaTech, Notre Dame, and currently UVa. Similing John ain’t got no rings. But Smiling John wears “I’m A Defensive Guru” t-shirts.

Then theres Lane’s Daddy – Monte. Google Monte Kiffin’s Wikiy page - He is widely considered to be one of the preeminent defensive coordinators in modern football, as well as one of the greatest defensive coordinators in NFL history. ..... Preeminent Monte, with little Lane in tow, spent 1980-82 “on the Brickyard” but “no ring”. He did have a horse however.

Arguably there was another Guru “on the Brickyard” – Norm Chow. Norm’s stay at State was brief but long enough to make Philip Rivers an NFL QB rather than a tight end. But no ring or even an ACC Chmp.

Gurus get to be gurus by having really really good players to guruize.

If Larry and Gene can “entice” the level of pure on-field talent to Kenan that Butch & Blake (who?) did, then maybe Gene can “guru” them. But SEC-level talent like that traditionally is not as talented academically nor much motivated to the academic aspects of college-life. Do you think Little Carol is aware of that?

How many of Gene’s 2010 War Eagles would meet unc Admission Dude Steve Farmer’s newly revised admission requirements? Do you think Larry and Gene have discussed that? Was Steve Farmer involved in the Vetting of Gene Chizik?

For the record, John Blake (who?) never met Steve Farmer. Also, for the record, during his one-year with Burly John Bunting, Smiling John Tenuta never bothered to ask if unc had a library or much cared. Neither Blake (who?) nor Tenuta read Look Homeward Angel either. Wonder if Larry has. Hell, wonder if Roy has?

Wonder if Smiling John ever asked anyone at State what “that round building” was? I’m going to guess No.

The very loud message with The Hiring of Gene “Guru” Chizik is that unc is committed to an all-out assault on Juggernaut Mountain.

Any thoughts of unc-CH scaling back or trying for a balance of Athletics & Academics is Hogwash. Forget that Southern Ivies League prattle.

The Blue Zone Fat Cats have assembled a bulging war chest anticipating an extended legal battle to fight any/all future sanctions for whatever unc mighta done that (1) Everybody does..... (2) Dan Kane unfairly exploited.... and, hey (3) Who cares if these gladiators can read or not.... "that ain’t why we recruited dem boys".

..... ain’t never gonna run out of column fodder.

As always , check the COMMENTS section too...

BobLee
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Jan 26 2015, 03:39 PM
Post #336

Hall of Famer

Column: unc’s choice to take a chance on Chizik shows no sign of change

This month, unc sent its final $590,000 check to Butch Davis, severing ties with the walking NCAA investigation formerly known as a coach.

For what we know, his replacement, Larry Fedora, has been as clean as Roy Williams’ gameday Legend Blues in his tenure, while still maintaining a relevant football team.

But where’s the fun in that? The same month unc sent that last installment of the 2011 buyout to Davis, it announced Gene Chizik as defensive coordinator.

C’mon, man! Have we learned nothing?

Here’s the deal.

Chizik has not been found guilty of any of the charges levied against him. But sweet sassy molassy, there have been a lot of charges levied against him. Chizik and his staff have been accused of paying players not to enter the NFL draft, improper recruiting, and — the icing on the tainted cake — fudging grades to keep players academically eligible.

Want to know how Chizik’s mind works? In 2012, he was asked about two of his assistant coaches who had been taken off the recruiting trail after NCAA investigations targeted them.

“That has nothing to do with us winning,” he said. “I’ve got one track, and that is our players and our coaches, and trying to get us to the next win, so, all of that stuff, I have no comment on that.”

unc has tried the one-track mindset before when it comes to athletics. Spoiler alert: It hasn’t worked. Since the seemingly never-ending stream of NCAA investigations and lawsuits, you would think unc would do its best to, I don’t know, not hire football coaches who have been even close to the same time zone as any athletic scandals.

Chizik is a good football coach. At Auburn, he led his team to a 2010 national title, and even though it went downhill from there, his defensive prowess is undeniable. Neither is unc’s need for a defensive overhaul.

This hire makes sense from purely a football perspective. But even though I thought this was abundantly clear by now, it must be said again: North carolina has to stop looking at decisions from purely a football perspective.

Once Vic Koenning was fired, there truly was only room for improvement. You’re telling me unc couldn’t find one squeaky clean coordinator who can manage to not give up 40 points per game?

After nine years, unc is finally done paying a scandal-riddled coach. What better way to celebrate than to start paying another?

CHeats
+Quote Post
DevilDJ
post Today, 12:53 AM
Post #337

Hall of Famer

College Athletes File Suit against the NCAA and the University of North carolina at Chapel Hill

Hausfeld represents a proposed class of current and former scholarship athletes at the University of North carolina-Chapel Hill (“unc”), led by former unc women’s basketball player Rashanda McCants and former unc football player Devon Ramsay, who were victims of one of the largest academic scandals in college sports history.

The complaint, which was filed in North carolina state court, alleges that for 20 years, unc and the NCAA stood idly by as hundreds of men’s and women’s college athletes were steered into sham classes that lacked faculty involvement or attendance requirements, all for the sake of maintaining their eligibility to perform in athletic competition while maximizing their time on the field and on the court.
The suit involves, among other things, negligence claims against the NCAA and breach-of-contract claims against unc for their roles in this episode in college sports. Hausfeld’s co-counsel in this matter includes former North carolina Supreme Court Justice Robert F. Orr and Harvard Law School professor Charles J. Ogletree, Jr.

A statement from Devon Ramsay:

This suit isn’t just about myself or Ms. McCants, it’s about protecting an opportunity that these young men and women have earned from their dedication and hard work. The athletic scholarship they've received promises an education in exchange for athletic participation and enrollment, but what happens when their college or university offers a class that is not legitimate by the university’s own standards?

Unfortunately, these aren’t just isolated incidents that occurred at unc. This is a national problem, one that continually surfaces at some of the most prestigious programs in the country. Where is the NCAA, which claims to protect their "student athletes," in all of this? And, most importantly, who suffers in the long run? It’s the athletes that are crippled. The ones that risk their bodies for the profits of their university. On average, less than 2% of these athletes will play at the professional level; therefore, it is paramount that these athletes receive legitimate classes that are worthy of their university.

A statement from Rashanda McCants:

I want to call on all athletes to stand with me and Devon Ramsay. We must stand strong so that we can be seen as more than just mere athletes. We are humans; we have voices; and, although we all love our school, we also love ourselves and the dignity we built within our own right. My intention is for people to know that I did everything that was asked of me, on the court and off the court. But the university and the NCAA failed to keep their promise to me and other college athletes, and in turn we seek justice. With this said, I hope and pray my fellow athletes stand with me and Devon in this effort to hold the powers that be accountable.

CHeats

Butthurt unx fans...
Devon Ramsay‏@ramsxyz

My statement regarding the complaint filed against unc and the NCAA

Richard Tucker ‏@richardtucker23

@ramsxyz such Bull***t I am sure the University made you take the class and you didnt know you were cheating either?

Why U Do This ‏@SeeUInSpace

@dijana_kunovac @AMillionWayz uhhhh this is a lawsuit for damages, not a "student coming forward"

Dijana Kunovac ‏@dijana_kunovac

@SeeUInSpace have you read through the case? over the court documents filed? there's a lot more to it, no need to shane Devon.

@dijana_kunovac I'm a lawyer. Yes, I've read through the court documents. I'm not naïve.

@SeeUInSpace lol k

@dijana_kunovac lol k sports talker

'Graw ‏@usernumberuno

@ramsxyz Just a quick question - at what point do individuals (i.e., student-athletes) become responsible for their own academic choices?

Michael Bowman ‏@MCB235

Were you forced to choose those classes? “@ramsxyz: My statement regarding the complaint filed against unc & NCAA pic.twitter.com/9o6XaTELzN” Big difference between stepping forward & doing so for capital gains. Devon didn't graduate with AFAM degree. 2/2 No one forced him to take those classes.

@MCB235 all i ask is that ppl read the full case file & court documents & realize that he's suing the NCAA and wanting-rightfully so, change. and i'm really not interested in starting a twitter war with anyone so you can please take that elsewhere.

Michael Bowman ‏@MCB235

@dijana_kunovac No one is looking for a "Twitter war." If you have an affinity for the guy, fine. But every athlete has the opportunity to (2/2) choose their own path. He could've taken any class he wanted.

csgs ‏@coachstokey

@ramsxyz ...Talk about a prepared statement. GTFOH.

robert nealey ‏@robert_nealey

@ramsxyz I mean, you deprived yourself from a good education and then blame someone else. lol Not their fault you aint got no money.

Professor Wolf ‏@ProfessrWolf

@ramsxyz You showed great strength and courage in July with your testimony before the Senate subcommittee. #Applause http://www.c-span.org/video/?c4525375/devon-ramsay-testimony

Judge Bob Orr ‏@JudgeBobOrr

@usernumberuno @ramsxyz At what point do the institutions and individuals making hundreds of millions become responsible?

'Graw ‏@usernumberuno

@JudgeBobOrr @ramsxyz Responsible for .. ? These kids sign scholarship papers and have the ability to choose their schedule. If they choose an easy route, and later feel cheated, let me get out my tiny violin for them.

marchi ‏@marchiNYC

@ramsxyz best of luck buddy.. Well done representing everyone else that dont not have a voice. Looking forward to the positive outcome

CHeats
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 15 16 17
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th January 2015 - 03:08 PM